Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What is happening in my life?

So the last few weeks have been insane here. Two weeks ago I entered into negotiations for a potential position in Missouri - which is a considerable relocation for me. The wife and I are flying down there in the next week or two to spend a long weekend interviewing, factory touring, and checking out local bars, restaurants, groceries, and housing. The kid and her boyfriend will likely move with us - if this happens.

About the same time, my 72 year old immuno-compromised father came down with Covid. He is recovering, but has lost a lot of lung function. This is not something he is happy with - he is a very active, fit old man and he now tires after just a few minutes of any activity more strenuous than a slow walk. I suspect they will be auctioning their possessions and moving into a retirement community sometime soon. I know it is killing him to have to slow down and I worry about him just slipping away.

Lastly, and something that has occupied quite a bit of my time and emotional bandwidth... Middle of last week, I received a call that my cousins boyfriend flipped his shit and attacked my cousin, my uncle, and their 6 year old son. My cousin was stabbed three times including one to her left lung, the little guy took the knife to his neck and his abdomen, and my uncle took multiple stab wounds - both lungs, nicked the heart, face, and multiple defensive wounds to his hands and forearms. He is on life-support while doctors are waiting to see if his lungs will begin to heal. He is 70 and the prognosis is not good.

My cousins boyfriend was shot dead on the sidewalk after he rushed the police.

My aunt and my cousins other two children were out of the house at the time of the attack, but according to security cam footage the family watched - his original plan was to kill the three family members at home and then do my aunt when she got home from work before heading over to take care of my cousins other two children and then do the suicide by cop. My cousin managed to drive herself, her father, and her little one to the ER before she passed out. My uncle managed to hurt the boyfriend and they were able to get out. Had they all been killed, her boyfriends plan would have likely played out. I do not advise ever watching camera footage of something like this - it will haunt me for quite some time.

So anyways, my apologies to anyone who is wondering if I disappeared. Be kind to each other and listen when people talk about not being well.

I have a signature.

Comments

• Wow! My condolences for all the tragedy in your family. I hope they all get better!

Jim

• I'd say misery met the 3-per there. I hope peace comes your way.

• My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • That is some heavy stuff. I was spending time tonight complaining that the wires for my latest x-carve upgrade were too short and then working around it...

My condolences and best wishes to you and your family. If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Sorry to hear about all the tragedy coming your way. I hope the job hunt works out. It's a lot warmer in Missouri.

Peace be with you,
    Ron

• That's some crazy shit, JR! Mental health sure has taken a beating the past few years - physical health too. I hope your family members make a speedy recovery.

Best of luck on the job opportunity and I hope things settle down for you soon.

• Thanks for sharing JR. Hang in there, best wishes and prayers for your family.

• Thanks for the update, my friend. As we have discussed, all to often, bad things happen to good people. You and yours definitely deserve a break. Good luck with the Missouri job hunt. Prayers for all those who suffer.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Scary stuff. Please take care of yourself and your family! In comparison, things have been relatively uneventful for me over the past 6 months or so. The worst thing I have had to endure was a bad toothache.
    Bill

• Missouri is a huge move, but maybe a change of scenery would be good. On the other hand, have you checked into what a semi will cost to move your speakers and parts? =)

6thplanet
  • I got no words for all that ... just hang in there.
    Where in MO?

PWRRYD
  • That is a lot, holy crap. Hang in there JR.

• Damn Johnny. That's a lot to deal with. I'll be thinking about you.

• Hey Johnny, You and your family are in our prayers. Hang in there. Very sad.

• Wow. All I can say is it will eventually get better.

• Wow! Tragic man! Hope all goes well for you and yours.

• JR, you and your family are in my prayers. Hang in there.

• https://www.millerfh.com/obituary/james-mccord
    One of the only pics we have of us. I was a music loving ham even then. He was a pretty cool uncle. Did wood working when I was a kid, transitioned to metal working - made figurines.

ugly_wooferkenrhodesrjj45ScottSSilver1omo4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Any update on them?

• The kid and my cousin are out and about, we buried my uncle yesterday.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    The kid and my cousin are out and about, we buried my uncle yesterday.

So sorry - prayers for you and your family. Sometimes that's all we can do.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Damn, sorry bro.

• Sorry to hear this, JR. I hope life takes a turn in the right direction for you soon.

• You and your family have my deepest condolences JR. Here's to healing and to good memories. Best of luck with the Missouri gig!

• Johnny, I haven't been on the boards lately and just saw this today. Terrible event. You are a sitting duck for PTSD with this, the whole remaining family as well. There is help for that, avail yourself.

• Good lord, JR.... that is all kinds of awful. Makes me very sad to read that. I did see your facebook post about it, but clearly the details weren't available there. I hope you're able to find some peace for your family. Best of luck with the potential move. MO is still a decent trek from me in IN, but it's closer than SD! Maybe we'll get to see each other at more DIY events in the future. Hang in there brother.