Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Call me super dedicated... or just plain Crazy!

2»

Comments

• The felt does help with the tweeter's response and it helps a little with the mid's response. It doesn't fix the effects of the grill frames entirely though. But with the felt in place, and sitting with the speakers not toe'd in the driver responses are quite acceptable.

My distortion measurements definitly show how high (or should I say low) to cross this particular woofer and how not so low to cross this tweeter. The TC9FD is in no way the limiting factor. So looking at both the FR and distortion for each driver, I won't have to make any big compromises and the final results should be quite good considering all the driver costs.

• Absolutely great 1st day of Spring here in northern IL. Upper 60's, nice warm breeze from the SW, and full sun. Letting the Duratex I rolled on the baffles early this morning bake in the mid day sun.

Tomorrow after work I will attach the felt to the baffles with 3M Super 77. For testing I just used blue painter's tape rolled up on itself. That worked just good enough for testing.

Silver1omo6thplanetsquamishdroc
  • edited March 2022

The grills turned out great. The cloth is nice and taut. Just a few burnt finger tips from the hot glue (just kidding, no burns).

kenrhodesSteve_Lee4thtryrjj45S79106thplanetjhollanderNicholas_23Billet
  • Felt glued on....

4thtrySilver1omorjj456thplanettajanesNicholas_23squamishdroc
  • Can't believe you felt up your speakers like that. Naughty boy!

dcibelrjj45ugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • Hoping the felt isn't too visable through the black grill cloth. "Oh well" if it is...

• Next project will probably be a two piece, aperiodic bass bin with a 10", 5" mid and 30 mm dome in a narrower cab on top. Should rock!

• Can't see the felt at all through the black grill cloth. I can slightly see the RT003C's yellowish membrane. No biggy. At least the evidence of me groping the baffles is camouflaged B)

6thplanet
  • Sweet! Is the felt thin enough so that it doesnt print on the baffles grills when they are installed?

• Yes, it has to be super close but appears there is just enough clearance between the felt and grill cloth :o

• I am most impressed with this work, JR - you move quickly when the motivation and weather align.

:)

• Nice work! Fine set of of units, I like the driver selection.

• Hehe units. =)

6thplanet
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    I am most impressed with this work, JR - you move quickly when the motivation and weather align.

Well I'm Craig, not JR, but thanks for the compliment.

Steve_Lee
  • edited March 2022

@6thplanet said:
    Nice work! Fine set of of units, I like the driver selection.

I'll try not to bang on them too hard...

• @PWRRYD said:

@Steve_Lee said:
    I am most impressed with this work, JR - you move quickly when the motivation and weather align.

Well I'm Craig, not JR, but thanks for the compliment.

Sorry for the oversight - still a newbie here and I am after-all quite fallible.

How do they sound to you?

Carry-on, Craig.

• @PWRRYD said:

@6thplanet said:
    Nice work! Fine set of of units, I like the driver selection.

I'll try not to bang on them too hard...

Well, I mean you already felt them up, might as well bang the crap outta them too😛

....ok, I'll stop now.

rjj45ugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • Looking good!

• Craig - we're gonna need to add a day at Ankeny just to audition everything you've built since October! You'll need a trailer to get it all there too.

PWRRYD
  • Might have to commandeer the wife's Town & Country with the stow-n-go seating lol

• @Steve_Lee said:

How do they sound to you?

Carry-on, Craig.

Just finished up designing the prototype crossover. It'll be a few days before I can have a first listen. I do have high hopes for this design though.

• Anxiously awaiting. Great looking build.

• Got home after work and tacked down all the components to pieces of cardboard with a drop of hot glue and soldered everything together. Kids are back to school today after having all last week off for Spring break. So lots of homework to do. No time to have a listen tonight :s Oh well, Indy is still more than a month away

• Had my first listen to this pair tonight. I like them! Bass is deep and well controlled. The tweeters sound good too, no harshness and nice top end air. The cheapo, plastic framed, $12, TC9FD18's are the star of this show! Fantastic clear midrange.

Steve_LeeBillet6thplanetkenrhodesrjj45
  • what crossover points and orders are you using?

• edited March 2022

LR2 at 550 Hz and LR4 at 3700 Hz

Only 13 components: 4 resistors, 4 caps (two are NPE), 4 air core inductors and 1 iron core

tajanes
  • I pulled out the Hafnium's for a listen recently in the home office. That helped me remember how good the TC9FD18 really is. I will look forward to hearing these.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Made some small tweeks to the padding resistors... these are ready for prime time =)

• I’m just now getting ready to stretch my grill cloth- and I’m looking at your corners - nice tight fit, not easy to get right