Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Just another subwoofer

2»

Comments

• miniDSP forum indicates up to 2.5ms depending on filters used within the DSP, so here's another more "worst case" type of view, comparing 2.5ms of delay, same 100Hz crossover.

A bit more significant but how much impact in real in-room performance? For example, a single subwoofer in the corner integrates with 2 main left and right channel speakers, that could be 6ft+ separation, so the subwoofer is going to blend much better with one of those speakers than the other, and of course the interaction will be dependent on listening location in the room.. In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned for subwoofer use, especially in HT where the delays of each speaker is fully under your control.

4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I have always wanted to build a "hybrid" type speaker system with a passive tweeter (1") to mid/woofer (6") xover arrangement combined with a very low frequency DSP sub (or subs) added. Looks like this would not be much of a problem at all, especially if I let the 6" mid/woofer run free on the bottom and then blend the sub in at about 60-80Hz with DSP. Thanks for the detailed information. :)

• edited March 2022

If it were me, my hybrid approach would be a 3-way, using a 2 channel DSP. Passive crossover between midrange and tweeter can be very basic, just basic slopes and tweeter padding. The DSP provides the high pass to the midrange, the low pass to the woofer, and all the response EQ to tweak to perfection and adjust for in-room conditions. It provides you all the benefits of DSP with the exception of adjustability of the mid-high crossover, but with less cost of requiring only 2 amplifier channels per speaker and only requiring 2 channels of DSP.

I did exactly this with my "Bamboozled" build, which is a 3-way speaker powered by a Hypex AS2.1D plate amp and a passive filter. This hybrid approach can of course simulated perfectly well in VituixCAD ;)

(As an aside, I would recommend padding the tweeter passively regardless, for sensitive tweeters you will increase SNR by padding passively. )

4thtrySteve_Lee
  • edited March 2022

kenrhodes4thtryrjj45WolfSilver1omoSteve_Lee6thplanetsquamishdroc
  • edited March 2022

@dcibel said:
    If it were me, my hybrid approach would be a 3-way, using a 2 channel DSP. Passive crossover between midrange and tweeter can be very basic, just basic slopes and tweeter padding.

That's what I did with my MCM project. It worked really well.

Ron

dcibelSteve_Lee
  • ^ Love it.