Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Anyone tried the GR Research M130's yet? . . .

edited April 2022 in Related

I have been experimenting with some old JBL coaxials that have curvilinear cones and noticed just how smooth they sound all the way up into the high mid-range with a little EQ and did some study on the cone shapes. (Wide band with manageable break-up/nice-roll-off).

This lead me to the GR Research M130 MW's - for the money and diaphragm size (larger than most 5.25") they look pretty good --> https://gr-research.com/product/m130-woofer/
No idea on power handling but for near-field listening they should be fine.

Thoughts?

(Edited for thpellin')

Comments

• Tell Danny we say "hi" and avoid his snake oil.

rjj45ugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • Does snake oil run-off straight coned speakers faster than from curvilinear cones?

:#

4thtry6thplanet
  • As much of a fruit cake that he is, those look pretty good on paper.... even the price.

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 2022

Dennis Murphy used the M130 in a few of his budget designs, e.g. murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html

Steve_Lee
  • I built the MB20 years ago. It's a nice sounding design, but from what I remember, I would probably call it a little laid back. My son had them when he was in college and I'm sure they took some abuse and seemed to survive just fine.

Steve_Lee
  • Yes- avoid Danny like the plague. If you want those woofers though, Axon 6S1 (I think) is the model number of the same driver. PE used to sell them a LONG time ago. Buying the Axon models would bypass the Danny madness.

6thplanetugly_wooferSteve_LeePWRRYD
  • Would, can you link them?
    Danny can make a good product but he waters the good stuff down with so much snake oil and BS it's hard to know what you are really getting.

• I'll try, but not even sure on their availability except that he gets them from somewhere.
    It turns out the AXON has a concave dustcap, but to my knowledge it's the same otherwise.
    https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/24-axon-6s1-line-array.122534/
    https://www.google.com/search?client=avast-a-2&q=axon+"6s1"+woofer+available+for+sale&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ25KEmY_3AhWyOn0KHZf2AToQ5t4CegQILRAB&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1

Unfortunately, it looks like they might be NLA as I can't find a distributor for them. Zalytron and PE both used to sell them.

• Maybe Mark from Meniscus knows.

• I always wondered if Danny had pallets of those drivers that have been sitting in a shed for decades. The price hasn't gone up that much in all these years.

I'm sure there's a much better markup on those ridiculous tube connectors. And they take up very little shelf space. ;)

• edited April 2022

One would hope that the profits from the snake oil keep the price down on the real products and the doors open on an otherwise niche market business.

M130 looks like an okay driver, don't expect too much from it though. For the price you can expect a super basic motor without shorting rings. It looks not that different from a lot of budget commercial designs that use poly coated paper. Because it is a bit higher than average sensitivity for its size, it also suffers on low end extension, best used for midrange duty only or with a subwoofer.

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited April 2022

if you don’t like a product > no harm, no foul
    but…

• edited April 2022

What> @dcibel said:
    " . . . best used for midrange duty only or with a subwoofer."

Precisely why I ordered a pair which will show up today (affordable to play with too and surface mounting!).

I have given up on 2 way systems and gone back to 3 or 4 ways . . .

I've also given up on making perfect looking cabinets and instead focusing upon the sound-stage/imaging as I have no need to impress anyone here with aesthetics any longer.

Less stressful/expense . . . B)

• OK, a visual review after getting them in my hands:
    Cone is actually 4.0" wide and 4.25" across the C2C of the roll surround suspension.
    The dust cap looks like a phase plug but isn't - it moves with the cone.
    Small amount of over-cast from the mold leakage around the perimeter - not a big deal.
    Otherwise it looks much like the SBA polymer speaker frames.
    Eventually I will get them into a box and check them out with some sweeps.

Based upon price they look great considering today's prices . . .