Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GRA Ribbons

2»

Comments

• ...and we all ran with Zobel-boy's fubar. It was really a fun time!

jr@mac
  • Them Brits actually talk like that ^, you know . . .

• They sure are gorgeous looking drivers. The texture on the aluminum is just fantastic. I love the thickness of the flange too.

There are some drivers I'd love to mount in a frame and hang on the wall they're so pretty!

About as exotic as I've ever gone tweeter-wise is the AMT tweeters PE sells. Oh, there WAS that Radio Shack ribbon tweeter from WAY back in the day. Used that as a coax tweeter for a set of 10" woofers on the rear deck of my 1974 Plymouth Duster. :)

TomZ

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Last I knew, Fountek faces were plastic. Are the GRS(A) metal faced?

• @Wolf said:
    Last I knew, Fountek faces were plastic. Are the GRS(A) metal faced?

The NeoCD1.0 ribbons have metal faces.

Ron

PWRRYD
  • The 3x 3.0 I have do not. I know the horn-loaded ones don't either.

• The Fountek NeoCD1.0's in my Gormacho project definitely have metal face plates. I bought a pair of Neo3.5H tweeters from Chuck (Jeff Bagby's stock) and the horns/faceplates are plastic.

• Yeah, the 3.5H are the horned ones I meant.

• Interesting, I never knew the 1.0 were metal.

• The 3.0 I have are metal.

• All of the 3.0's Curt and I've used for the past 15 years have been metal. It's an excellent driver but needs to be crossed close to 4K for it to shine.

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • Did a scratch test on the faceplate, it is aluminum.

These are very good looking drivers.

I ordered a pair of those 4" round frame SBA drivers, I think they will make a decent pairing with the GRA ribbons. Based on what I heard a couple months ago these are probably one of the best value midwoofers out there. If measured meets advertised it offers solid bass reproduction in a small cabinet and pretty linear response well past the anticipated crossover point. Should be a really nice design for a couple hundred bucks in drivers.

I can name the design SBAGRA and make people wonder... :)

meniscusugly_wooferS7910Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • SB12PFCR25-04?

• @PWRRYD said:
    SB12PFCR25-04?

Yes, but the 8 ohm version. I'm horrible with model numbers.

I have a signature.
  • I will have to double check my 3.0 then, as I may very well be incorrect. I will report later....

• @jr@mac said:

@PWRRYD said:
    SB12PFCR25-04?

Quite a sensitivity mismatch but quite flat . . . 8 ohm version cheaper on XO parts than the 4 ohm?

• edited July 2022

Quite a sensitivity mismatch but quite flat . . . 8 ohm version cheaper on XO parts than the 4 ohm?

The more that you pad the tweeter, you keep it's distortion from rising due to output level. Watts are cheap.

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @Steve_Lee said:

@jr@mac said:

@PWRRYD said:
    SB12PFCR25-04?

I don't worry about such things, I just wanted to design an 8 ohm speaker I guess. Generally, though, 4 ohm woofers are cheaper to lowpass than 8 ohm. Sometimes easier, too.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Hoffman is a jerk.

Steve_LeePWRRYDjr@mac6thplanetrjj45S7910
  • But, but, but, Bose....

• how about G> @jr@mac said:

I ordered a pair of those 4" round frame SBA drivers, I think they will make a decent pairing with the GRA ribbons. Based on what I heard a couple months ago these are probably one of the best value midwoofers out there. If measured meets advertised it offers solid bass reproduction in a small cabinet and pretty linear response well past the anticipated crossover point. Should be a really nice design for a couple hundred bucks in drivers.

I can name the design SBAGRA and make people wonder... :)

Thanks for the support!

jholtzSteve_Leejr@macPWRRYD
  • Hi Mark!

• I really don't understand why you wouldn't tout the tweeter first and ROCK the GRASBA! Rock the GRASBA!

Sorry. :3

PWRRYD6thplanetSteve_Leejr@macWolfrjj45S7910Nicholas_23
  • @Turn2 said:
    I really don't understand why you wouldn't tout the tweeter first and ROCK the GRASBA! Rock the GRASBA!

Sorry. :3

So it is written, so it shall be done

6thplanetPWRRYDSteve_LeeNicholas_23Turn2
    I have a signature.