Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Easy Constrained Layer

Comments

• I thought you needed an elastomer like layer? Does the cork qualify?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Nice, cork boards and rolls are available in office stores... Can I stick cork on the inside of MDF cabinet? Anything else I can stick to the inside face of the cork?
  • kennyk said:
    I thought you needed an elastomer like layer? Does the cork qualify?
    Maybe constrained layer isn't the proper term.  Cork is used in sound insulation and in the sandwich I put together seems to damp the ringing you get from typical plywood.

Ron
  • ani_101 said:
    Nice, cork boards and rolls are available in office stores... Can I stick cork on the inside of MDF cabinet? Anything else I can stick to the inside face of the cork?
    You could put cork on the inside but I think having a layer of cork between another layer of wood might be more effective.  I wouldn't take much to try a single layer and see how it works.

Ron
  • I'm doing an MDF-silicone-tile constrained layer on the Shockwaves, at the rate I work, they'll be done in a few years. As soon as my sister and I move out of mom and dad's house, there will be room in the garage for... well, being able to reach the project, haha. I bought some 97c tiles at Lowes and used 3 or 4 tubes of silicone on this carcass, I haven't even glued the second one up yet.

**Bricks not included.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Is the silicone caulk enough to hold the tile in place over time? Are you using any stronger glue? Also, what are you planning to line the tiles with?
  • I used to use silicone caulk to build crossovers with.  I recently tried to recycle some parts from some speakers that were probably 25 to 30 years old and broke one of the ferrite cores trying to pry it loose. I had to cut the caulk to remove the parts.

Ron
  • ok, then that's good then.... I like how the silicone caulk is a little flexible and hard rubber like rather than completely rigid... except for the smell while it is drying
  • Well they've been sitting in that spot for several months, surrounded by boxes of junk and the tile hasn't moved, I'll get my micrometer out when I can finally get to them to do some more work and see if the panels are still 29.85mm thick.

They'll be lined with 3/4" sonic barrier.
  • I have like 10 boxes on that tile i dont know what to do with.
  • Well now you do. You're welcome.