Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Buyout coils from Parts Express

PE has some laminate core inductors on buyout - these were from the big Orevox buyout that also produced a few values of NPE capacitors and an assortment of inexpensive woofers. I used to peruse their website, so I was really hoping some of the cooler drivers they sold would have made it to the buyout bin, but alas - no 3" dome mid, none of the really cool, classic looking dome tweeters. I did score a pair of really interesting 4" woofers, though. 

I digress. 

I bought 12 of the 3.5mH 19awg laminate core inductors, and six of the 12mH 20awg laminate core inductors. I measured them on my DER EE DE-5000 meter (which everyone should have - you will never consider using DATS again) and received these results:

http://www.parts-express.com/35mh-19-gauge-laminated-bar-core-inductor--269-2132

and 

http://www.parts-express.com/12mh-20-gauge-laminated-bar-core-inductor--269-2268

The 12mH are a traditional size form factor - the 3.5mH use a smaller core. Not sure what that means, except for the types of builds I will be using these 3.5mH in I am not at all worried about saturation etc. 

Hope this helps if you have been on the fence about some of these coils. 
I have a signature.
Mzisserson

Comments

• I've used those 3.5 mH buyouts a couple of times.  They worked great for me.  Just one heads up, you can easily unwind them to a lower value, but be careful and don't unwind too much thinking you can just wind some back on.  They way they dip them you unfortunately peal away major enamel insulation when unwinding.  So if you go back and rewind some you cause shorts between turns, and even worse, short between layers.  But if you are careful and unwind a little, measure, unwind, measure, repeat then no problem.
    jr@mackennyk
  • I grabbed a handful of the

1.0mH 20 Gauge Ferrite Bobbin Inductor

Brand:Part # 269-2124

and my luck was not so good. A few crazy outliers and I found that they were very fragile.

The sold-out 3.0mH version, OTOH, I found to be pretty consistent. I unwound several to lower values and have been satisfied.

jr@mac
  • Of the six 12mH I ordered, two showed up with damaged bobbins but the windings maintained integrity. When PE had those 2.something mH ferrite core with plastic bobbin, of the 30 I ordered, I think 10 showed up with grenaded bobbins and one had sprung. Copper everywhere. 
    I have a signature.