Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Part's Express Speaker Design Contest

I didn't see a thread started on here regarding this event so...
Big congrats to Nick (Ugly Woofer) for his 2nd place win with the Minion project, and more importantly his fan favorite award. I'd rather have my peers praise than 3 judges. Either way great job Nick, can't wait to hear them and see them next month. Glad you're one of us that actually DIY's everything yourself.

Steve_LeeKornbreadWolfrjj45ugly_wooferTurn2tajanes

Comments

• His demo was hilarious! It was well deserved to place twice with the same project.

ugly_woofer
  • edited August 2022

Thanks guy's. I really wish that the PE event wasn't a contest, but it's not under my control. That said, I would never even consider entering something that I didn't build completely myself. Personally I would much rather come in dead last with my own creation than win with something that wasn't all mine, as I would feel no sense of accomplishment, but that's just me.
    It was a project that I never should have started, far too many hours. Next time I talk about starting a project like this.... one of you guy's just punch me in the face. =)

Steve_LeePWRRYD6thplanetrjj45
  • I F'n LOVE this ^ reply!!

• I feel the same way about competing with something that I wouldn't have done myself. I totally agree. If we punched you in the face because you tried to start a build like that though, you probably wouldn't be considered an ugly woofer anymore. It might be an improvement!

ugly_woofer6thplanetPWRRYDrjj45
  • Because you pulled off the Minions, who could say you shouldn't do the next crazy project?

DanP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I'll preface by saying I am not a fan of competitions - but I understand why they exist and why many are a fan of them.

That being said, I would recommend not being punched in the face. Having had that done to me many, many times all you end up with are bad sinuses, a crooked nose, a weird clicky jaw, and random headaches.

That's why I build speakers - got tired of being a punching bag for younger and faster karateka.

If being punched in the face starts becoming a thing in DIY audio I'm not sure I can hang out with my friends any more. I just can't bring the heat to win these things any longer. I'll take up gardening, except I refuse to participate in naked gardening day and I am not a fan of flowers (bad sinuses) so all I'd grow are red peppers and potatoes and onions and possible muskmelons.

ugly_wooferrjj45Steve_LeeScottS
    I have a signature.
  • I see the PETT SDC thread states that an error in the scoring occurred:

"A tabulation error was discovered on the spreadsheet used to record the judge’s scores that affected the outcome in the Under $300 category at this year’s Speaker Design Competition.

The final placements in the Under $300 category should have been:
    1st Place Paul Kittinger/ Duetta
    2nd Place Nick Santorineos / Carl & Stuart
    3rd Place John Hollander/ LCR Mains
    4th Place Michael Hadjinian / Bella Sonus Model 1\"

And if I read between the lines someone who won/placed didn't do all the design & build by himself. Is that correct?

• Correctamundo!

• How about this for negative reinforcement.

PWRRYDjr@mac
  • Will that be your next build Nick... a Beavis and Butthead pair of speakers? lol

jr@macugly_wooferSilver1omo6thplanet
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Will that be your next build Nick... a Beavis and Butthead pair of speakers? lol

I do love the weird builds!

• I posted this on PETT. Nelson Pass sounds like a regular Speaker guy.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    It was a project that I never should have started, far too many hours. Next time I talk about starting a project like this.... one of you guy's just punch me in the face. =)

I realize it must have been a cool idea that just turned into a part-time job at times, but it really was amazing to see in real life. You made them so smooth, shiny and realistic looking that they looked like the actual Minions -- at least what they would have looked like if they were real things. I thought you really pulled off the hair well too.

I wandered back into the speaker holding room a bunch of times and each time I just stared at those things. They're basically perfect. I imagine if you took them into a Children's Hospital, put them on a movable cart with a few bunches of bananas to hand out while playing your "Banana" song, you'd have lots of smiles for miles with those things.

TomZ

Steve_Lee
  • edited August 2022

@tomzarbo said:

@ugly_woofer said:

I realize it must have been a cool idea that just turned into a part-time job at times, but it really was amazing to see in real life. You made them so smooth, shiny and realistic looking that they looked like the actual Minions -- at least what they would have looked like if they were real things. I thought you really pulled off the hair well too.

I wandered back into the speaker holding room a bunch of times and each time I just stared at those things. They're basically perfect. I imagine if you took them into a Children's Hospital, put them on a movable cart with a few bunches of bananas to hand out while playing your "Banana" song, you'd have lots of smiles for miles with those things.

TomZ

That's a wonderful idea ... music for the kids at the Hospital. A cheap but exceptional sounding, and just as visually entertaining system could be set up in the kid's play room at a local hospital. Out of reach of little hands, though.

• A couple of battery powered amps with Bluetooth would be just the ticket.