Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

WTB: RS150T-8 and RST28.

Before I purchase new speakers I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any they are not using. I will be at the Meniscus event in Grand Rapids for pickup if it works out. I am looking for 4 of the RS150T-8. (4 ohm may work also) and 2 of the current version of the RS tweeter.

Thanks!
Duane

Comments

• edited August 2022

Current version as in not the highly regarded older version? rsta or rstf? Two are sitting here on the desk, but I think they are the wonky ones I experimented on like ... well ... who was it that tore up a pair, pulled out the stuffing, replaced it with a cotton ball and made it all better?

• I don't know who that was? Somebody..🤔

Steve_Lee
  • I don't really care which version. I am planning on rebuilding my TriTrix with rs parts. (Or maybe another tweeter, like the sb26.)

• If you want em' I'll dats them again. Messed with them a little and they've been sitting since. Never got that pretty curve that other person got. Maybe I didn't get the stuffing right, or maybe it's something internal that cannot be fixed. Don't know. The back cup is taped on so it can be removed easily for more experimentation.

• Duane, I have a spare pair that you can have - just pay shipping. I think these were some that JR took apart and fixed. They measure about the same as the pair I bought when they originally launched. I'll see if I can find the Imp sweeps.

• Sounds like these are not the greatest tweeters, LOL. Are they worth using? I was trying to stay all Dayton for the rebuild and use current drivers. But if this is not a good choice I will go with my backup plan.

• The first run of the RST28 fabric ones had a weird impedance double hump that was criticized as flawed. PE gave away a bunch of them and a few people here modified the back chamber to fix the impedance hump. The Al version didn't have the defect.

The RST28s doesn't sound as good as the old version. The distortion starts to rise around 2K, still acceptable but not like the old version.

I think they are decent for the money but disappointing for those of us who own and remember the old version. I used the Al version to 1.6K in my LR Mains project.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • They've had some QC issues with those. I've only used the RST in one design. I would probably go with an SB or even a Peerless tweeter if given the choice.

• @duanebro said:
    Sounds like these are not the greatest tweeters, LOL. Are they worth using? I was trying to stay all Dayton for the rebuild and use current drivers. But if this is not a good choice I will go with my backup plan.

I have these. You pay the shipping you can have them.

• Barely covers the disposal fee... Just kidding. If Duanebro does not want them I would like to barter for them.

• Go Beastmode or go home.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • edited August 2022

I have the unpopular opinion that the old RS28A isn’t that amazing. I've no experience with the newer/cheaper RST model, though it's hard to argue with the value of the free + shipping option from Hifiside. In a similar price range there's a few Seas and Peerless/Vifa/Tymphany tweeters I would rather have. DX25 is good value, for metal tweeters there's Seas 27TBFC, Peerless DA25BG, DA25TX.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited August 2022

Well, if you put any stock at all in the 2022 SDC (not MWAF) judges ears, for the under $300 category they picked Dan N's, oops I mean Paul K's design, which used the new RST28's (A? F?). So there is that. I have a pair of the F's that had the funky manufacturing issue. I was able to fix them like Wolf did. Then I mounted them to a pair of those Visaton waveguides. No project using them yet so no objective data or subjective opinion.

• I haven't used the ones that I fixed either yet. However Brad got a set at Indiana in the spring, and we're going to compare apples to apples and see which one actually looks, sounds, and measures better.

• PaulK's Duetta and Keith Etheredge's Defiants (with the Visaton waveguide) use the -F and John Hollander has used the -A.

• edited August 2022

@hifiside said:

@duanebro said:
    Sounds like these are not the greatest tweeters, LOL. Are they worth using? I was trying to stay all Dayton for the rebuild and use current drivers. But if this is not a good choice I will go with my backup plan.

I have a set of the A’s too. if that’s what you might want.

duanebro
  • @hifiside said:

@hifiside said:

@duanebro said:

I have a set of the A’s too. if that’s what you might want.

I would think the A would be ideal with the rs150 woofers. Making it an all metal speaker. I sent you a message...

• @jr@mac said:
    Go Beastmode or go home.

I have a pair. Dont like them. I don't have boxes but may try to bring them to Meniscus event. They do have a trade/sale area like other events?

• I just might take those off your hands, Duane. Anything else you are looking for besides the RST et al?

• @Wolf said:
    I just might take those off your hands, Duane. Anything else you are looking for besides the RST et al?

Actually I need to get rid of a bunch of drivers. However I would be interested in a pair of mcm 55-5670 woofers.

• I don't have any of the 5670. Asked because you suggested trades. Either way, I'll take them. What're you asking for them?

• @Wolf said:
    I don't have any of the 5670. Asked because you suggested trades. Either way, I'll take them. What're you asking for them?

What ever is fair. I would be interested in SB drivers.

• Hey Tom and Cornbread. I sent you both messages.