Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Shawn_K checking out of PE

If anyone saw his posts before PE deleted them...

Comments

• He's mad because his scorecard for the speaker competition was lost in the mail, and PE didn't keep any copies.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Guess I missed it. Haven't visited techtalk in a loooong time.

hifiside
  • @Kornbread said:
    Guess I missed it. Haven't visited techtalk in a loooong time.

Me either. I’ve been on TikTok tho.

• Wait, they deleted them? Why? I know he posts here as well, so I'm hoping to be carefully tactful here.
    I get that he's upset. I understand that he spent some time, gas, and money to participate being from Montana. I understand that he's wanting for the judges' results. I also know how much he loves the hobby talking to him in person and in forum discussions.

Here's what I don't get.
    1 why throw that kind of a public scene? It was basically a text tantrum. 2 has this been boiling due to other PE poop storm criteria? 3 Was the judging his sole reason for attending? 4 How can he blame PE for the issues that USPS had in delivery, and for something they have absolutely no control over? 5 Shawn builds good looking and sounding stuff, and to me, really does a good job. The confirmation of a job well done should already be apparent and rhetorical.

• edited August 2022

@Wolf said:
    Wait, they deleted them? Why?

He asked to be removed, doesn't want anything to do with PE for the aforementioned reason. He'll have some egg on his face if it shows up the mail in the next few days.

Maybe a stupid question since I've not been to one of these events, why are the score cards mailed out and not just handed out in person at the end of the event?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I have often asked myself that question after an event is over. I do not know why they are not just handed to the contestant after the event is over.

• @Wolf said:
    I have often asked myself that question after an event is over. I do not know why they are not just handed to the contestant after the event is over.

It gives the judges a chance to run.

6thplanetTurn2
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@Wolf said:
    I have often asked myself that question after an event is over. I do not know why they are not just handed to the contestant after the event is over.

It gives the judges a chance to run.

Bingo.

• I think that Shawn didn't take time to cool down and relax. Had he done that, he might have realized that sending the score cards is a courtesy and not a service.

• One of his posts before the blow up said he sent an email to Jill (someone at PE I presume?) Maybe she/him/it told him tough luck.

• Jill is very nice, I'm sure the reply was far from tough luck, and probably more like sorry that post office lost it.

• Agreed, Jill would not do that and is a people pleaser.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Jill is very nice, I'm sure the reply was far from tough luck, and probably more like sorry that post office lost it.

I agree. My experience is that if you really needed someone to be helpful at PE, Jill was who you wanted.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Jill, Viv, Cil, Eric, Matt, Bruce, and Bryan, and even Jeff have all done right by me.
    Customer service at PE is very good.

• @Wolf said:
    Jill, Viv, Cil, Eric, Matt, Bruce, and Bryan, and even Jeff have all done right by me.
    Customer service at PE is very good.

Well ... not everyone shares that opinion.

• @dcibel said:

@Wolf said:
    Wait, they deleted them? Why?

He asked to be removed, doesn't want anything to do with PE for the aforementioned reason. He'll have some egg on his face if it shows up the mail in the next few days.

Maybe a stupid question since I've not been to one of these events, why are the score cards mailed out and not just handed out in person at the end of the event?

It's pretty much cut and run after the awards. I have a tough time finding people I know before they leave. That said you could announce if you want your score sheets see Jill before you leave.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Attendees could always just take the gathering a little less seriously and just enjoy the company/intercourse . . .

• edited August 2022

I dunno man. Lots of things going on in people’s lives that’s not always visible. Have you heard of that term

“she’s got a pebble in her shoe?”

Sometimes people are a bit irate about something, and even (s)he may not be aware of what it is, let alone it being visible to someone else.

Let’s be kind and not criticise.

I wish Shawn well and hope he does return to participate in this little hobby.

Steve_Lee
  • Devil's advocate I guess, but I'd be ticked if they lost my score card. People pour a lot of effort and money into these projects that could garner them some irrefutable respect in the diy community. How difficult would it have been to backup the scorecards? Heck, if the design is good enough, PE can even make money off it.

Steve_Lee
  • I'm not sure if I've met Shawn in person but I've always found his posts to be knowledgeable and civil. Like him I've had times where I just wanted to tell PE and some people on PETT to get bent and then never return. I hope he sticks with this hobby and continues to participate on this forum.

Wolf
  • Thank's guys for the positive comments.

I overreacted and didn't realize until I created a lost mail request at USPS that the auto address fill in function on my computer put in the wrong street number and it was wrong on my speaker registration form. I still hope I get my Score sheets in the mail. Wolf I actually live in Minnesota about 35 miles north of downtown Minneapolis.

I still am a little disappointed that PE didn't make copies of the Score sheets - they actually could scan a digital copy and email them to us.

I will continue to buy products from PE. As far as the Tech talk forum goes, I think this forum is better anyway. I don't know if I will go to future Parts express speaker competitions - too much egg on my face.

Steve_Leedcibelhifisiderjj45Billet
  • Nah, please continue to go. I enjoyed our conversations.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Sorry, coulda sworn it was Montana, but it's still a northerly M state. I'll remember next time....

• Shawn, did you have a pair of super shiny, red, 2 way bookshelf speakers at Iowa a few years ago?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Shawn, did you have a pair of super shiny, red, 2 way bookshelf speakers at Iowa a few years ago?

Yes, they were called the two cherries Dayton Audio RS100P-4 and ND20FB. That was in 2018. I have been to the Iowa event a few times. I think I met you; I think your name is Craig. You had an MTM one year that used the Tang Band W4-1320SIF drivers which are excellent. And I think you had a larger stand mount 2 way that used the Peerless 8 inch Exclusive 8-inch woofer and had a 2-1/2" diameter PVC or ABS pipe port. 2-1/2" is not that readily available.

• Ah yes, we have met Shawn! I am Craig. You coming to Iowa this Oct?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Ah yes, we have met Shawn! I am Craig. You coming to Iowa this Oct?

I will not be able to make it this year.

• @Shawn_K said:

I don't know if I will go to future Parts express speaker competitions - too much egg on my face.

Who cares, if you want to attend, by all means attend.

Shawn_KSteve_Lee
  • My speaker design competition scoresheets were sent back to PE due to the street address being incorrect. Vivian Jones at PE scanned them and sent them to me today.

My speaker design is called Peerless Uncubed (3-way all peerless drivers in an enclosure with only one 90 deg corner)

My scores are as follows Clarity, Craftsmanship, Dynamic Range, Originality of design, Soundstage/Imaging, Tonal Balance.

Judge 1: 8, 10, 8, 8, 3, 8
    Judge 2: 8, 9, 7, 9, 8, 8
    Judge 3: 9, 9, 8, 7, 7, 9
    Total 143

Comments,
    Judge 1: Track 1: Good female and male voices. Good bass slam.
    Track 2: Good clarity in vocals. Weak imaging.
    Track 3: Fun sounding on this cut. Good vocals.
    Not sure why image was so vague.
    Judge 2: Soundstage good. Bass a little lumpy. Transients good. Voices good. Good separation of voices and instruments. Good sound decay.
    Judge 3: Track 1 and 2: Good clarity and detail. Nice tonal balance.
    Track 3: Vague center image. Good detail and aim, not bright. Nice soundstage.

My takeaway from the comments is my speakers has good voices, tonal balance, detail and soundstage but lacked good imaging. My speakers are an asymmetrical design, and the dispersion is different from the left and right side of the speakers and at the competition setup I positioned them to so that the side wall reflection would be reduced (more dispersion inward). I noticed that Judge 1 (Jerry) was moving his head to the center of the table which signaled to that he was having issues hearing the right-hand speaker. The 3-point score I got for Soundstage/Imaging by judge 1 really pulled my score down. My overall score was almost exactly what I predicted, and I think placed 5th overall (I don't know for sure not all the scores have been shared). My next design will be a high end 3-way MiniDSP/Passive system and I have about $1600 in drivers invested.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@Shawn_K said:

I don't know if I will go to future Parts express speaker competitions - too much egg on my face.

Who cares, if you want to attend, by all means attend.

Sorry Nick I hit the "WTF" button on your post by mistake

Shawn