Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Artemis 1

Had to scrub the launch again today. My kids and I were really looking forward to the launch of the most powerful rocket in history. IDK what scrubbed the launch this time. Seems like a lot of tax payers money...

Comments

• edited September 2022

Same fuel leak that halted the last launch.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Had to scrub the launch again today. My kids and I were really looking forward to the launch of the most powerful rocket in history. IDK what scrubbed the launch this time. Seems like a lot of tax payers money...

About year ago we launched Lansat 9 , a bunch of big wigs from the center went down for it . I thought , what if it gets scrubbed or waved off ? Then I remembered it probably wasnt on the big wigs dime.

• edited September 2022

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/

"...engineers could not overcome a hydrogen leak in a quick disconnect, an interface between the liquid hydrogen fuel feed line and the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket, mission managers met and decided they will forego additional launch attempts..."

There is a good chance the next attempt may be a month or more away.

• oooo.... i would like to go see a launch someday.... but the uncertainty and the trip....

• Sort of sad to see a lot of taxpayer dollars being wasted by these fat cat federal contractors: "NASA prime contractors, Aerojet Rocketdyne, Boeing, Jacobs, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman " - they have missed targets and deadlines time and time again, and NASA just gives them more money and time. I hope they succeed, I don't want to see our space program held hostage by Elon Musk, but I have little faith that they can deliver.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I grew up in central FL in the 1970s a few hours north of Cape Canaveral. The whole elementary school would go out onto the rec fields to watch the space shuttle take off. Because we were far away it was kind of like watching a jet in the sky, but still really cool. I moved 2 years before the Challenger disaster, but it was still really saddening after watching so many launches. When I was in grad school studying economics I studied the O-ring theory of economic development (1993). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_theory_of_economic_development#:~:text=The O-ring theory of,to be of high value. The author later won the Nobel Prize in economics for different, but related work.

rjj45