Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Suggest mid high end 3/4/5 inch mid range drivers

So, no more TB W3 1797S. I need a replacement. Say around 70-100 per driver. I am also going to change the design a bit and want these mids to cross over very low to a pair of side firing woofer/subs. efficiency need not be too high, a the subs are around 84-85 db and will be in series for an 8 ohm load. Will want to cross over to a tweeter as high as possible, so the mid is carrying the bulk of the audio spectrum. I do have a bunch of tweeters, but some additional tweeter choices will also be appreciated.

the sub woofer are TB W5 1138SMF. In the meantime I am going to dig through my driver stash and see what I can come up with.

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Could try the audio physics 4". http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/AUDIBLE-PHYSICS-425-AL-/52-890
    How high do you want it to go?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • What are you targeting as crossover points?
  • Fountek 3" drivers look like they test well and not cost an arm and a leg.  Maybe somebody that has used them can chime in.  Same with the ZA14 mid woof. 
  • Looking at above 3.5k for the tweeter, above 4k is batter... Can use some small ribbons etc. On the low end as low as possible... Since I am looking at side during woofers. What would be a good low xover point for side woofers?
  • That little Discovery mid is perfect. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    That little Discovery mid is perfect. 

+1...

The 10F is a fantastic midrange.
  • Which 10F, I see three, one is 65$(8ohm) the other two are 95$ (4 ohm and 8 ohm). Any preference among the 3?
    Mzisserson
  • Not the $65 full range. Both the 4 and 8ohm midranges are excellent.
  • ok, great in that case I would lean towards the 8 ohm.

If there are any other suggestions, please let me know. I am going to wait till I send back the other drivers, get my refund (maybe minus some restocking fee, etc) and then take a call.

There is also an Eton (Eton 5-200/A8 Symphony, 5" Mid/Bass) for 89$. Is this any good at this rate? The specs and the published ditortion look good, but that is only half the story...
  • ani_101 said:
    ok, great in that case I would lean towards the 8 ohm.

If there are any other suggestions, please let me know. I am going to wait till I send back the other drivers, get my refund (maybe minus some restocking fee, etc) and then take a call.

There is also an Eton (Eton 5-200/A8 Symphony, 5" Mid/Bass) for 89$. Is this any good at this rate? The specs and the published ditortion look good, but that is only half the story...
    You may start runnjng into beaming issues if you run a 5" that high to the tweeter. 

The 10f is wonderful. 

Many forget about this guy I used in the "Dark Knights" and was well loved. i think it has slighly better low midrange response than the 10F, but the 10f edges it in inner resoultion. 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-woofers/seas-prestige-ca12rcy-h1152-4.5-coated-paper-cone-woofer/

There is a dedicated midrange version if you search, but not to be run lower than 300. (they say 400, but its beefy).
    Turn2
  • Asking a little mid to go really low is asking for limits on output before distortion sets in.
  • The Faital Pro 5fe120 might work well in this application.  It's a 5" with 5 mm xmax and plays pretty high as Chuck demonstrated in his Midnite Magic project.  He crossed at 3.5 kHz to an AMT tweeter without any significant off axis issues.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Good suggestion Scott. I think the faital pro is a great option. 

• Thanks, I will look up that project.... I did remember reading about it
  • If you are willing to deal with the response curve, the 3" MCM KB driver is excellent. During my sweeps, it presented a very clean and clear sound even down to Fs.
    I have a signature.
  • I thought about suggesting the 4" kb, but havent measured the response yet. ThoughI think it will be similar to the 3" that JR tested.