Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Suggestions for cabinet resuse

Hi all,
I'm looking to repurpose some cabs I picked up some time ago and looking for some suggestions. They are 41" tall x 13.5" wide with a 9.5" wide removable baffle. They have a small sealed portion for the mid of about .175ft^3 and the rest of the cab volume is ~ 1.7ft^3.

I made a quick baffle a while back for a CanTiLena knock off that didn't work well due to driver spacing and the dual woofers.

One thought I had was a slight mod to the FAST 10F/RS225-8 design from another forum to incorporate a ribbon.

Another thought was a Seos RS28A/830883/830884 3-way.

This will start out active as I don't have much passive design experience. I also have some other drivers on had if you know of any designs that could be adapted to the cabs. I know this is open ended, but appreciate any insight.
Thanks,
Nate

Comments

• You should really try that SEOS/RS28A combo - you may not need a midrange if you choose a good midbass.
    I'm watching this thread.
    :)

• +1 for the SEOS with dual woofers TMM

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I am leaning towards the Seos-8/HDS Exclusive 3-way as well. Crossovers around 300/1.5k? Don't suppose the 830883 could make it above 3kHz to utilize the Viawave RT850 instead of the Seos?

• edited October 2022

Taking the 830883 to3 KHz is probably "iffy", at least on paper. I attached Zaph's 830883 response on an infinite baffle. There is a breakup at 4 KHz, but according to Zaph's distortion measurement it's mostly 2nd harmonic distortion. So you might get away with 3 KHz depending on the crossover used. I also would worry about the directivity mismatch between the 883 and Viawave at 3 KHz. I attached the 883 directivity at 3 KHz. At 3 KHz the Viawave will be omnidirectional, at least horizontally. This analysis was done while killing time in an airport, so keep that in mind too. :)

• +1 for the Seos/830883/830884.
    In my opinion the upper limit for any 6.5" woofer is 2.5Khz due to beaming
    ! would get the largest round-over router bit you can get to put a radii on the vertical cabinet edges to help with diffraction - I think it would look better too. Maybe a 1.25" round over bit
    I would put the crossover between the mid and tweeter at 200-250 Hz.
    Just my thinking

Steve_Lee
  • Sign me up for a tweeter that will XO at 250 HZ please!

• Whoops, I meant the Woofer to Midrange XO at 200-250 Hz

Steve_Lee
  • edited October 2022

maybe tgt baffle diffraction ~ 335 hz for Xover btwn W and M ?

Steve_Lee
  • Seos plus RS28A should do 1,200 Hz

Steve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited October 2022

Thanks for all the input! I think I'll go the Seos-8/HDS Exclusive 3-way route with crossovers at baffle step and 1.2kHz as a starting point. I'll use the DSP-408 to help figure out attenuation and dial in the crossovers and will look to move to a Motu M4/CamillaDSP for higher performance if I can dial in the mid/tweet crossover.

I'll also look into cabinet mods for diffraction.
    Thanks again for all the insight.
    Nate

Steve_Lee
  • Baffle design underway...

Steve_Lee
  • edited October 2022

Testing my CAD accuracy before I cut them from $2 Menards shelf boards.

jhollanderugly_wooferSteve_LeeRon_E
  • Must be nice, you high tech CADie types😁

KornbreadSteve_Lee
  • I'm having some serious Peerless envy.... ;)

• edited November 2022

Baffles cut, need to shellac them before mounting.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • One has been assembled. Need to take some basic measurements to confirm crossover points and plug them into to DSP-408.

kenrhodesSilver1omohifisideSteve_Leetajanes6thplanetJasonP
  • ^ She's got the 'look'.

=)

• Might I suggest painting the tweet horn to match the mid and woofer? Two tone, silver mounting flange and black horn would be tight.
    Pretty cool big solid looking units, sweet!

• Thanks guys. I do think painting the SEOS silver would look neat. The 830883 1K dip is fairly pronounced and hope to utilize it with the ~ 1.2kHz crossover point. The 830884 response seems to dip after 200 so I moved the crossover point there. I have a 20uF cap on the RS28A at the moment which is rolling it off a bit early for 1.2kHz but the overall response seems flat. I'll try 40uF to see how it changes. Right now I'm thinking of building a 6 channel amp with two 50ASX2SE and a 125ASX2 module. I'd like to move away from the DSP-408 as this progresses, but we'll see.

• What don't you like about the 408?

• It's a Dayton product... so there's that

6thplanet
  • SNR probably has a lot to do with SilverD's issues with the 408.

• I listen to mostly streaming content via a pi and have started using CamillaDSP for projects that need DSP. If I can get all my DSP duties done before converting to analog, I want to avoid going back to digital and then back to analog with the DSP-408. Just need to find a 6 output audio interface that doesn't break the bank.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • I need a USB "DAC" with 6 or more channels to connect to the pi. I like my Motu M4, but only 4 outputs. The MOTU UltraLite-mk5 would be perfect, but I don't want to spend $600.

• MiniDSP used to have a nice 8 channel USB DAC, solen still has one left if you want to get the last one. UDAC-8. Otherwise I would look at splurging on the flex eight which will do what you need at a high level of quality.

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The 408 is junk. Cannot get rid of the noise, if you get one that works.

YMMV

Steve_Lee
  • I thought they fixed the noise issues

• I thought it was a brick issue.

• I picked up a very lightly used Motu Ultralight mk3 for a very good price a few weeks ago. Using the SPDIF input would keep the signal in the digital domain up until the output DACs. My hope was to use the parametric EQs in the onboard Cue Mix DSP to build filters for a 3-way project. But...you can't enter a precise frequency in those EQs. They step through some preset frequencies as you turn the dial. I was hoping for more precision. :#

My other option is to use Reaper, but that means it's no longer a stand-alone solution. I have no idea if Reaper will run on a RPi, but that might be an option. I'll look into CamillaDSP too. I have a spare RPi with a Dac hat floating around here.

Steve_Lee