Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Suggestions for cabinet resuse

2»

Comments

• Hey silverD - I just learned the Ultralite mk3 Hybrid version that I have will not work with Linux. :s
    If you can figure out how to implement firewire on a Pi, the older mk3 is said to work. Those are going pretty cheap these days.

I also looked into the ESI Gigaport. It seems poor power supply design causes noise on the outputs.

• Hi Tom,
    I briefly looked at the ultralite mk3 hybrid and thought it had a USB port, but that in itself doesn't mean it's Linux compatible. I also ran across the ESI gigaport EX, but like you said reviews commented on it being noisy. MiniDSP makes the MCHstreamer and USBstreamer and I have several i2s DACs, but I need to read up on them more. Thanks for your input. Like dcibel said, the flex eight looks very nice assuming it measures like the flex four.
    Nate

• There is also the Behringer UMC1820

• edited November 2022

I thought about that Behringer too. It even has SPDIF in & out. The price is great. If the D/A converters and analog section is anything like the old ADA8000, it should sound pretty good too.

Now I'm rethinking the Motu box. I still have 30 days to return it....

• I'm going to try a 2-way passive crossover for the mid/tweeter and then use the Motu for the mid/woofer. I'll look to pull inspiration from The Standards design.

tajanes
  • Well, here is my first attempt at a crossover design based on measurements I took. I plan on utilizing a 2-way passive for the tweeter/mid and active for the mid/woofer. I used the Standards design as a starting point, but soon realized the waveguided RS28A needed another approach. I had a less than ideal measuring environment when I took them at 20" on tweeter access 5ms gated straight on with omnimic v2. Crossover is at 1kHz, let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks!

Here are the FRDs and ZMAs if you'd like to dabble :)

4thtrySilver1omo