Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Anyone add acoustic glass windshield to their car?

edited October 2022 in Car Audio

My windshield broke on my way home last night. I am having Safelite replace it with acoustic glass. It was a $250 up charge over OEM. While not directly audio related I thought someone here may have done the same. If you have, did it make a noticeable difference? If not any guess as to if this is a waste of money or will it improve the quietness of the cabin? (Car is a 2022 Outback Premium I have CLD on the doors and spare tire well. Peerless tweeters in the dash and silver flutes in the doors. Sub is currently a sunfire Jr. With a JBL club A600 amp).

Comments

• Never heard of it

• I'd not heard of it before but it looks to be a thing --> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=accoustic+glass&t=brave&ia=web

• Manufacturers use the thicker glass in their upscale cars, like going from a Chevy to a Buick, the Buick gets the thicker glass to cut down on noise

• The 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz I picked up earlier this year has "acoustic glass windscreen" standard in all trim lines. I can't give you a 'before and after" comp, obviously, but I can say it's the quietest vehicle I've owned. I would expect acoustic glass to become more common.

• some older MBenz had double pane glass - very quiet

• The touring trim has different glass in the drivers and passenger windows. It is layered. CLD glass? Anyway it is to layers of glass with a layer of something else in the middle. Sound doesn't transfer well through material of different densities...

• Seems pointless when the rest of the car is standard glass.

• Driving into a hail storm should be less distracting from the operatic audio, though . . .

duanebro
  • I'll have to check mine out, as I have an 2015 Outback Limited, and report.

duanebro
  • @6thplanet said:
    Seems pointless when the rest of the car is standard glass.

Might be. But it is the biggest and most direct piece of glass. I am also going to ask the shop about how much it is to replace the side windows. That is much easier to do. The touring tirm includes driver and passenger acoustic glass also. But not the rear windows.

• My Outback limited XT has the sound insulating glass in the front windows and I thought it's quieter than the other models

duanebro
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I have ocean front property in South Dakota for sale if anyone is interested.😊

joeybuttsSteve_Lee
  • @hifiside said:
    I have ocean front property in South Dakota for sale if anyone is interested.😊

Just make sure when you plunge in with your vehicle after that late night drunk you break out through the non-acoustic glass. You won't be able to escape through the acoustic in your diminished condition.

• So the new glass is in. When they called me to confirm the appointment I had a discussion with the local safelite location. They told me that the work order said I requested OEM glass. Once I explained what I wanted; I was told that all Subaru's have acoustic glass. The only difference is the Subaru logo on the glass. So I changed it back to after market and this is what they gave me:

• edited November 2022

Per EZ-KOOL / ULTRA ™ web page; so while the 'up to' % may be in question, it should provide a quieter cabin

• I've got the same on my front window.

• I really wish this would have hit my windshield.

Steve_Lee
  • edited November 2022

@tajanes said:

Per EZ-KOOL / ULTRA ™ web page; so while the 'up to' % may be in question, it should provide a quieter cabin

If this grade/brand is typical of the class, it also contributes higher strength and lighter weight, all easily measurable qualities.

• Just a quick update. The glass does seem quieter than the OEM. But the overall cabin noise is about the same. I did notice that my dash tweeters that are aimed at the glass seem to be quieter. My wife agrees with this. Otherwise see sees no difference in the new glass.

• 'caus its clear ? ha

Steve_Leekenrhodesduanebro6thplanet
  • Looks like John's glass is exactly the same. Is that the OEM glass and nothing has changed? If the tweeter output has changed with the same glass then I don't think the glass is the variable.

• No mine was replaced, but because it's a Limited model there was no choice except to get the acoustic glass. Glass plus eyesight recalibration was almost $1K

• @jhollander said:
    No mine was replaced, but because it's a Limited model there was no choice except to get the acoustic glass. Glass plus eyesight recalibration was almost $1K

When I went in to drop off the car they showed me exactly what I had and what they would give me. I missed it at the time but she pointed out the outback limited... I dont know if it was an accident or on purpose. (I dont have a limited)