Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Are Beast Mode, Beast Nipple, and OG Nipple interchangeable?

No.

Padding makes them so, however. For the most part.

I was hoping they were closer, but Beast Mode wins again. Long Live Beast Mode.

I have a signature.
e6zionSteve_LeehifisidekenrhodesBryan@MAC

Comments

• How much difference off axis and distortion? I thought that was where the nipple was supposed to help?

• edited November 2022

I designed this speaker

I started with the Beast moDe. It's a non-linear distortion champ, and can probably do a sub 1.5KHz LR4, which is why I chose it, in case I needed to cross low to the relatively large 6.5" B&W FST:

Here's the popular 6.5" SB17NAC compared to B&W FST for a size comparison:

But after taking the polars for the FST, it was good to about 2.5KHz, so I dropped in the Beast Nipple. To my surprise, I immediately preferred it. I try to avoid audiophile buzzwords but if you forced me, "much more relaxed sounding" is how I would have describe it.

Thinking it was a drop in sensitivity, I increased the level, so that on-axis for the Beast Nipple was now exactly the same as the Beast moDe. Nope, I still prefered the nipple.

Like other ring radiator/ring domes, the beast nipple has slightly higher HD2 than the dome.
    Here's a single speaker a rollicking @110dB/1m!

It may have to do with the reduced off axis response in the top octave, and thus thus the power response. It could be the higher HD2. I don't (yet) know. All I know is that the crossover has stayed for same for months, and I enjoy listening too much that I don't want to change anything, or take it into another room to do complete set of polars.

Please no jokes about nipples or thunder thighs...

jr@macdcibelrjj45Bryan@MAC
  • @tktran - by "best mode nipple", are you referring to the XT25 with double magnets?
    I checked my stocks yesterday and I have 2 of the Visaton 148 WGs, so I will be trying a WG for the first time.
    I stopped caring about HD2, I think it was Troels who said 2nd order was not a problem for him.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • ^^^
    Beast nipple XT25BG60-04

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • I really do like how the Beast Nipple sounds. It is also pretty robust.

I do have a pair of original Denmark built XT25. If I get a wild hair, I am going to do a comparison with a newer China built version. The fabric is not the same between them.

I have a signature.
  • edited December 2022

Sorry JR, slight hijack for a question I am wondering that is related but doesn’t deserve its own thread. I am looking at a build with the beast mode dome, but am wondering: does it sound quite good too or is its merit primarily its low crossover ability? I know you and others here have a lot of experience with the beast mode dome so figured I’d throw the question in this discussion. Thanks and sorry for the slight derail.

I do love the sound of any of the nipple rings and also the older d27tg45 type tweeters.

• The beast mode is a great sounding tweeter. I doubt you will find many that would disagree.

• +1
    The fact that it CAN cross low makes it more flexible than those that can't, but overall it's well regarded because it sounds good. I used it xo at 1,800hz

• Great thanks guys

• Yeah, it doesnt do anything wrong in my opinion - the big XT just worked better in the waveguide I had at my disposal. In an optimized guide, it would likely be just as good.

I have a signature.