Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Andrew Jones and his new speakers

Was watching a few youtube vids on his latest creation with MoFi . Man what a cool dude , he seems like a cool customer. Have any of you met him?

Comments

• Yep, met him at AXPONA and InDIYana a few years ago. Cool chap for sure.

• Met him at the Meniscus get together last year I think. He's a wealth of knowledge and a super nice guy.

• He was there in 2019, you are correct. We talked too, I'm sure.

• Definitely a nice guy who still likes speakers after all these years..

• Just cements my thoughts on the guy . I didnt know he went to events and hung out with the likes of us . Even more appreciation for the guy lol

• Ron_E
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • looks like these qualify to Indy 2023

DanPWolf
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • So did anyone send him the invite? 😀

• About 5 years ago, I was fortunate to come away with a pair of sample 10" coax Eminence drivers. I dragged one out today and measured the T/S parameters and they are very similar to the KL3010CX (close enough that I surmise that they were probably pre-production samples).

It makes me think I should build a pair (minus the crazy baffles). I can get F3 between 50 and 60 Hz in something of similar size to the Sourcepoint 10's, which seems to be the happy place for these Eminence drivers (coincidence or not....)

My other takeaway is wow, what a generous door prize that was. Thank you to Eminence!

Bryan@MACSilver1omokenrhodesjhollanderSteve_Leerjj45Nicholas_23PWRRYD
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The next question will be which tweeter to use. It looks like it will take a 1 3/8" 18 TPI tweeter. I currently have my eye on the PRV Audio D290Py-S.

kenrhodesSteve_LeeNicholas_23

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Knowing how many compression drivers Matt went through (RIP, 6 years ago on Nov 16th), I'd feel I'm not being helpful if I don't recommend Beyma or Radian, or at least the Radian replacement diaphragms. Obviously, if this is for cost effectiveness, then don't let me steer you away. PRV makes great drivers, and so does Faital. USSpeaker sells a lot more CDs than PE does.

• I'll certainly check those out. How much $ I want to throw at this project sort of depends on how representative my samples are of the current production coax driver. If it is something that other people could build if they like the Sourcepoint 10, but don't want to pony up $3,600 - $4k, then I could see having a total parts cost up to about $1k as "reasonable" as one would already have to invest $500+ in the coax drivers. If this is a one-off because my coax drivers measure significantly different than the KL3010CX, then I will be looking more for high output and "pretty good". I'm encouraged by the T/S parameters, but will still need to see what the response looks like.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @ScottS I'm pretty sure you already know @jerzy53 (George) is a Radian distributor.... and Faital Pro as well.

My signature goes here
  • From the looks of it, the Radian and FaitalPro compression drivers are a bolt-on interface, while the coax driver requires 1 3/8" TPI threaded interface. The PRV is reportedly similar to the B&C DE250, which has a reputation for working well for domestic applications (vs. just PA) - so I am going ahead and trying it while PE has their 15% off deal. If it doesn't work well with the coax, I have one or two other applications where it probably can be made to work.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • My fall back would probably be the Celestion CDX1-1731, as that is used in a DIYSoundGroup kit along with the a modified 12" version of the same coax driver.

Sehlin Sound Solutions