Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Got to see Steve Vai

last night , the kid was interested in seeing him. Im not familiar with his work and honestly just know of him from the movie crossroads from the 80's . Not bad , just a different style of guitar player that I dont normally listen to . The 80 dollar ticket was a little tough to swallow but glad we got to see him.

WolfkenrhodesMikeg6thplanetSilver1omo

Comments

• Glad you enjoyed it. The Mrs. and I had tickets for almost a year. The Des Moines show was rescheduled from last March. Neither of us could go due to whatever non-COVID infections are going around. Not pleased, but whatcha gonna do? :/

Nicholas_23
  • I chose to see Satriani this year over Via. I've never seen either one and I'm a bigger fan of Joe. I wanted to see them both this year (as well as Malmsteen) just wasn't in the cards this year. I'm sure he put on a fantastic show. If you get a chance to see Satch, do it.

Nicholas_23
  • I knew a few of you would chime , deff Ben for sure. So yeah , I mean , I wished I could do what he does but I will never have those chops or knowledge and just not my flavor . Will spin up some Satriani tonight and see what hes all about . Yngwie Ive heard is like a dark beer , an acquired taste.

• @Turn2 said:
    Glad you enjoyed it. The Mrs. and I had tickets for almost a year. The Des Moines show was rescheduled from last March. Neither of us could go due to whatever non-COVID infections are going around. Not pleased, but whatcha gonna do? :/

Sorry man , maybe find another one to check on the bucket list when one comes around? Again he was good just not my style of music if you will

• For those that like this stuff, I was streaming YouTube after the new Unviolate Vai album played. This came on and I was impressed! Figuring out who Kiko Loureiro was made that an easy realization though. I didn't know him by name.

Steve_Lee6thplanetNicholas_23
  • @6thplanet said:
    I chose to see Satriani this year over Via. I've never seen either one and I'm a bigger fan of Joe. I wanted to see them both this year (as well as Malmsteen) just wasn't in the cards this year. I'm sure he put on a fantastic show. If you get a chance to see Satch, do it.

@Nicholas_23 said:

@Turn2 said:
    Glad you enjoyed it. The Mrs. and I had tickets for almost a year. The Des Moines show was rescheduled from last March. Neither of us could go due to whatever non-COVID infections are going around. Not pleased, but whatcha gonna do? :/

Sorry man , maybe find another one to check on the bucket list when one comes around? Again he was good just not my style of music if you will

I DID get to see Satch when he was in Des Moines in early October. The last time I saw him was in a small venue in Omaha during the Crystal Planet era, so quite a while ago. He put on a great show again, heavily weighted with newer material. Great time!

6thplanetNicholas_23
  • Yeah Kiko is another fantastic player. I was introduced to him when he joined Megadeth, just like Marty Friedman. Marty led to Jason Becker, who's life story is amazingly tragic. Lots of great solo guitar players out there, but I feel Joe and Steve really paved the way.

Also on my short list is Eric Johnson. To have seen the G3 with Joe, Steve, and Eric would have been sublime.

Yngwie is definitely aquired taste. He does what he does well, but only in doeses. I'd like to see that live a least once, he usually has a decent bassist with him too.

• edited November 2022

My fave is probably Petrucci.

That said, Impelliteri is really good too.

6thplanet
  • edited November 2022

Yep, he's another.
    The guy from Animals as Leaders is not always my cup of tea, but many like him.
    So far, I have something from all mentioned, except Vai. I like the new Hydra song, but he is not always my cup of tea either. I prefer Satch, Petrucci, Plini, Impelliteri, and that new to me Kiko album.

• I remember Crossroads. Good movie! Still watch guitar duel from time to time.
    Did Steve play with Frank Zappa for a while?

Nicholas_23
  • @R-Carpenter said:

Did Steve play with Frank Zappa for a while?

Yes, I think it was his first big gig; there's a great video on YouTube where Steve describes his audition for Frank.

Geoff

• I saw him when he played on tour with David Lee Roth, probably 1986ish (a few years after he played with Frank Zappa per wikipedia). At the time David Lee Roth had left Van Halen, and Eddie was still considered the best guitarist (or at least according to high school kids, like my friends, who didn't know much about guitarists), but this "new guy" with David Lee Roth might even be better.

• Just a different type of music for me , Im trying to get into it . How can I say this ..... I can appreciate it , but just not my bag.

• edited November 2022

I get it. Kind of like how I am awed by how fast speed metal guitarist can play and how their drummers can do so many double kick drum beats per measure, but I just don't like the screaming vocals or lyrics in general.

Now gangsta rap, that's where it's at! :p

Silver1omo
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I get it. Kind of like how I am awed by how fast speed metal guitarist can play and how their drummers can do so many double kick drum beats per measure, but I just don't like the screaming vocals or lyrics in general.

Now gangsta rap, that's where it's at! :p

Yeah, that would not be what this thread is about. I can think of one Satch tune with lyrics in 25 years. Tune crafting, technical proficiency, repeatability and a bottomless fountain of tone might be a bit closer.

Another guitarist who comes to mind in this vein would be Guthrie Govan. Check out anything by The Aristocrats.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • I still cue up Surfing with the Alien a couple times a year. Great music.

6thplanetTurn2
  • Satch Boogie is great too.

• Dang, I'm new fan of Guthrie Govan.

Steve_LeeTurn26thplanet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Dang, I'm new fan of Guthrie Govan.

Awesome, totally awesome!

• Via had some pretty good riffs on DLR's Yankee Rose and Going Crazy tracks.

• I went to Ramstein concert in Soldiers Field in Chicago. Sound was crazy loud , but pyrotechnic effects were great.

• GG is an incredibly talented dude. Check out Nick Johnston, I used one of his tracks off Remarkably Human on my demo this year at Indy. The whole album has a really cool melodic vibe.