Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

M8N revision

edited December 2022 in Related

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I just noticed this. This is a gorgeous looking woofer imo.

https://www.parts-express.com/HiVi-M8N-1B-8-Damped-Aluminum-Magnesium-Cone-Woofer-297-490?quantity=1

Steel frame still looks cheap but mounted behind the baffle with a beveled cutout could look great, kind of high end. I always liked the m8n anyway.

Comments

• edited December 2022

@dynamo said:
    Sorry if this has been brought up before...

Wow, there are a whole bunch of new HiVi Drivers. I don't regularly check for new stuff, but these seem very recent.

• Looks like m3n and m4n are out in black too. New line of paper woofers that look decent too, except for an ugly logo on the dustcap.

Again not sure if this is old news; if yes sorry.

• 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 in black. Some paper drivers. A 5" poly cone and a 3" dome mid.

• Once I got to the 3" dome mid, I forgot whatever else I was looking at.

J/K (sort of). I'm glad they are sticking around as an option for DIY and adding options. I've used a lot of their woofers and liked them all. I do think they should send me a pair of those 3" domes to play around with. I could see using those, the black 8" M8's and the RT1.3's in an Indium 6 design.

jhollanderWolfdynamoSteve_Lee
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Just wish all those domes were caged - Definitely eye-balling the 3" dome, regardless . . .

• Keep 'em coming.

I have a signature.
  • @ScottS said:
    Once I got to the 3" dome mid, I forgot whatever else I was looking at.

J/K (sort of). I'm glad they are sticking around as an option for DIY and adding options. I've used a lot of their woofers and liked them all. I do think they should send me a pair of those 3" domes to play around with. I could see using those, the black 8" M8's and the RT1.3's in an Indium 6 design.

That sounds like a potentially quite awesome combo!

• The E8 looks like it could be a good candidate for a two way. The 0 and 30 degrees responses are close up to about 2.5k.

• Is the brand name new or not?

"Zhuhai HiVi Technology Company Limited"

• I'm very interested in that dome mid. I've really liked every dome mid I've heard that was properly implimented (Scott's Indium 6, Wolf's Attitudes, my Gormachos). The price isn't too bad if you consider the Morel MDM55 is now $130.

• That Neo poly 5" has great response, a cast frame, a 2" voice coil. I like the look of that one.

• @Wolf said:
    That Neo poly 5" has great response, a cast frame, a 2" voice coil. I like the look of that one.

Yeah, that is the one I'm looking at too. Any concerns with the stated 3.5mm xmax if used in a modest sized two-way?

• Wish it didn't have the HiVi logo splashed all over it.

I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:

@Wolf said:
    That Neo poly 5" has great response, a cast frame, a 2" voice coil. I like the look of that one.

Yeah, that is the one I'm looking at too. Any concerns with the stated 3.5mm xmax if used in a modest sized two-way?

In fact, looking at the pics - what the hell cone/dustcap does it actually have?

I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:

@Wolf said:

I don't think it will be a big problem. It's parameters suggest it won't be trying to dig too deep. The F5, as a point of comparison, has a stated xmax of 2.7 mm, also isn't a bass monster, but holds up just fine in a modest sized two way.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @jr@mac said:

@a4eaudio said:

@Wolf said:

In fact, looking at the pics - what the hell cone/dustcap does it actually have?

Yeah, I noticed that too. The pic with the gold letters is one of the paper cone woofers even though it is shown right next to the side angle of the poly cone with the swan logo. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't really have that swan logo.

• @jr@mac said:
    Wish it didn't have the HiVi logo splashed all over it.

Yeah I’d have to give it a lacquer thinner swabbing or light black paint coating on the dustcap. The swan logo isn’t terrible but the hivi writing looks cheap

• @jr@mac said:

@a4eaudio said:

@Wolf said:

I’d say the poly dynavox style is correct

• @a4eaudio said:

@Wolf said:

I wouldn’t worry about the xmax. The similar dynavox woofers, even the overhung ones, have similarly crappy xmax on paper but imo the bass quantity and quality they produce is very nice.

• I’d say the poly dynavox style is correct

They're the same style as the D6.8.

• So, it's like a Neo D5.8?
    At least the sensitivity is higher.

• edited December 2022

@Wolf said:
    So, it's like a Neo D5.8?
    At least the sensitivity is higher.

So, this got me thinking and I did some searching. It appears that the #.4 refers to 4ohms and the -II is the new neo line. There is a D6.4+ and D8.4-II on Swan's webpage but not complete information yet. So hopefully, "coming soon".