Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GRS 8" high excursion

These just came in the other day . Just some pics , havent spec'd anything yet. Maybe tomorrow night? We are getting dumped on tonight and into tomorrow with snow so Ill be moving snow after work tomorrow . Some pics , just a sub woofer with some double mags so far first blush.

Steve_Leekenrhodesjr@macrjj456thplanethifiside

Comments

• They look like little beasts . . .

• I got mine the other day also. Looks just like yours! It was well packaged, and heavy. Mine will be in .5 sealed with one of those Dayton "SUB 1000" buyout amps, 100 w. w/ 3db boost @ 40hz. Should be a nice match.

• I looked at those amps. Weird boost, and did all three of Dayton powered subs use the same amp? That's odd. They were advertised at different wattages.

I have a signature.
  • edited December 2022

I am not sure. It was a buyout that lasted maybe a day - they were there and then gone without a trace. There were two part numbers, one was spec'ed as 80watt w/3db at 45, the other as 80 watt w/3 db at 40. Yes, both 80 watts. I ordered 1 of each, and one has the "SUB800" label, the other the "SUB1000". I made the assumption that the +3 db at 45hz would be the SUB800 amp, and the +3 db at 40hz would be the SUB1000 amp. I cant even remember what I paid for them, but they were cheap. Both the same price.

UPDATE: I looked up my PE order history, and the SUB1000 amp is back in stock, $59.98. Part no. 309-629. And, the SUB1200 part 309-631. The write up for the SUB1200 says 80w. w/ +3db@35 hz.

• I think 4 of these in a relatively small sealed box, with some EQ, in the trunk of my car, could be quite awsome! Probably not in my current car but likely the next sedan. B)

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • See now, the SUB1200 currently for sale at PE lists the amplifier as 120W. When they had an 8" model, it was listed at 80W. Maybe PE in their rush to cut their typical corners on their commercial speakers ended up with several 80W models or something. I am not generally impressed with the Dayton Audio commercial speakers and their QC in the first place.

Back to the drivers at hand. Claus, I am fairly sure if you can find room for a couple 1.5 cubic foot cabinets you would not be disappointed. Alternatively, we could build a compact sealed and get some real bottom end in your car. One of those newfangled Class D monoblock amps around 200-300 watts would play very nicely with these and offer plenty of output potential. Are you running aftermarket deck in your car? I know you added AMT tweets a few years ago.

Let's do a nice SQ setup in that ride.

I have a signature.
  • Hold that thought , the time has come where I need to own a vehicle newer than a 1997 model lol. I do have a couple amp options one of them being a vintage fujitsu ten eclipse amp.

• That's funny, I thought that I was bad, my newest is a 2009.

• Well when you take care of your vehicles and don't blow them up using high octane gas.... B)

ugly_wooferWolfSilver1omoSteve_LeejholtzMitchell_CoteS7910
  • @jr@mac said:
    See now, the SUB1200 currently for sale at PE lists the amplifier as 120W. When they had an 8" model, it was listed at 80W. Maybe PE in their rush to cut their typical corners on their commercial speakers ended up with several 80W models or something. I am not generally impressed with the Dayton Audio commercial speakers and their QC in the first place.

Back to the drivers at hand. Claus, I am fairly sure if you can find room for a couple 1.5 cubic foot cabinets you would not be disappointed. Alternatively, we could build a compact sealed and get some real bottom end in your car. One of those newfangled Class D monoblock amps around 200-300 watts would play very nicely with these and offer plenty of output potential. Are you running aftermarket deck in your car? I know you added AMT tweets a few years ago.

Let's do a nice SQ setup in that ride.

Confused , kinda . So I bought two of these amps part number 309-631. The site lists the part number as an 80 watt unit but the box has a label reading 120 watt. Upon further inspection the transformer is labeled as a 80W. Im guessing the label on the box is a mislabeled

• So the amp can't be even 80w if the transformer is 80w.

Nicholas_23
  • Sounds like they may have fucked up in China and PE is passing their costs off to us as a "buyout".

Nicholas_23Bryan@MACKornbread
    I have a signature.
  • A transformer should not be rated in watts? It should be VA. I wonder if that stamp was just a simple way to label the amp rating.
    I think JR is right in that PE will sell anything regardless of quality.

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee
  • So maybe a 200 watt output transformer ? Did I math right?

• 100W

I have a signature.
  • As I thought, they had "issues". Sure hope a bunch of SUB 1200 didn't go out the door with the 80W amps!

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Those drivers look promising. However, I will never EVER buy another plate amp from PE, especially a buyout.

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee
    My signature goes here
  • Is it a class D?

• This is all I could really find on the amp.

• Does anyone have measured TS parameters on this driver?

• Not yet from me, but it looks like PE posted updated specs in tech talk.