Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Accuton drivers

Has anyone heard a Accuton build? Im not sure Ive seen any DIY builds out in the wild. Im sure the price point plays a factor in this, like the Eton drivers, people probably shy away because of the price?

R-Carpenter

Comments

• This is enough for me to shy away, let alone the poor price/performance.

Steve_LeeR-Carpenterjr@macrjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Seen it happen to one of my customers speakers. Eggshells.
    Another bass driver (woofer) from another speaker started to distort after a few month. Something went bad with the motor. Accuton replaced that driver even tho it was a bit out of warranty. TBH I don't care for them regardless. Cones ring like bells and the price is always high.

Steve_Lee
  • edited January 2023

Bordeaux by Jim and Curt. Was in Iowa 2017. From the MAC event archive

• In the last pic, why do the pair of speakers in the back, right, have their woofer's covered?

• I believe those are ribbons that are covered. They can distort with changes in air pressure like slamming car doors or driving with open windows. These covers protect them, and Raals in particular come with the covers.

Steve_Lee
  • I believe Dave brought a boom box type build with some in at the first Ankeny event.

• @hifiside said:
    I believe Dave brought a boom box type build with some in at the first Ankeny event.

Yup...great memory.

My signature goes here
  • Didn't someone comment that was the most expensive project in the room?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Didn't someone comment that was the most expensive project in the room?

Probably me, and it was pretty impressive considering a Pioneer head unit did all of the crossover work at the touch of a button. Dave and I played around with it that Saturday morning before the rest of you guys woke up. I was very impressed with it overall.

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with Accuton drivers except their price to performance is pure bullshit. They also require very careful crossover work as evidenced by the shrieking monster Vapor Audio presented at Axpona that one year.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

"...as evidenced by the shrieking monster Vapor Audio presented at Axpona that one year."

LOL.....🤣 I remember that.

My signature goes here
  • @Kornbread said:
    In the last pic, why do the pair of speakers in the back, right, have their woofer's covered?

If you're talking about the 'red' speakers, those are mine. Those are the Transducer Labs carbon fiber dome tweeters and yes, that was for protection purposes. The covers came off moments later.

Kornbread