Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Jor El My tribute build to Jeff Bagby

edited February 2023 in DIY

It's been nearly three years since Jeff's passing. As many do, I miss him. Not only for his speaker building help, but his spiritual mentorship as well. That meant more to me than the help he gave me in the audio world.
Jeff's wife called him her Superman. And he was. Suffering through multiple health issues the last few years but always positive. Always giving of himself. He was and still is an inspiration for many.
I was asked by Christine to go through Jeff's inventory of drivers and accessories to sell. In that stash was a pair of Morel ET448 tweeters and EM1308 dome midrange. Jeff had tested and even developed a crossover for the pair. They honestly were out of my price range. But talking to a friend, he decided to be a benefactor and generously paid for a portion of them!
So I have premium mids and tweets. Now I need a woofer. Jeff and I had talked about a standmount 3way a few times and it's a build I had yet to tackle. So I looked at a quite a few and decided to try a Wavecor WF223BD01 8". I'm targeting a 1.3 to 1.4 cu ft Fb of 34hz that will result in F3/6/10 of 34/30/26.
I'm going to really take my time with this build. Save up for more premium crossover parts, etc. I have most of what I need now and should be cutting material this week.

4thtryjr@mac6thplanetSteve_LeePWRRYDhifisideAtomHeartMotherrjj45Colonel7dynamoand 6 others.

Comments

• Not trying to be a know it all, but it's almost been 3 years now. He passed March 24, 2020.
    Good to see you finally getting started on these...

• Oops typo1 forgot what year we are in!

• Great project and great drivers. I like that they were Jeff’s drivers and hopefully you can incorporate his crossover design between the two morels. Very cool!

• Very cool Chuck on all counts. That driver combo has the potential to be magic and sounds like something that would have made Jeff smile.

• I worked with Paul K on a MLTL similar to my Veritas build. 2 folds, line is about 56" long. Similar f3. The baffle is going to be 1.5" thick butcher block counter top. Overall dimensions are 11W 20.5H 17.25D. And I will be making stands specs for them. I was hoping to start work on them before now but other duties came first. Probably wait until after InDIYana now. No rush.

• That's a long line to fold into a 20.5"H box! Interested in how you accomplish this.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:
    That's a long line to fold into a 20.5"H box! Interested in how you accomplish this.

2 folds 5" depth 1/2" material for the internal walls. 1st section of the line is filled with poly. Crossover will be external.

rjj45
  • Will these be ready for Indy Chuck?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Will these be ready for Indy Chuck?

No, hoping for Meniscus this year. And i've got Iowa on my radar.

PWRRYDjholtz