Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dynavox LW5004PMR-N 5-1/2

At $26 on sale for this Dynavox woofer is there any other woofer to consider for about $30? M-T-M or dual woofer to anchor a slim line tower 3-way. Just throwing it out there.

Comments

• Maybe the Peerless 830656. Madisound has them on sale for $16.50/ea. Not nearly as sexy, but always a solid little mid-woofer.

• edited February 2023

Those Dynavox drivers are nice, but...

Wow! Definitely the Peerless 830-656 for the win! At that price I might buy 8 of them for a sick MMTMM!

• Thanks for the input, and saving me from spending the money.
    I have 8 of the Sony MB-150H woofers Johnny reviewed. They look like they spec similar to the Peerless.
    Picked them up on Ebay for $7 each.
    Look forward to your MMTMM if you decide to build it.

• @Mitchell_Cote said:
    Thanks for the input, and saving me from spending the money.
    I have 8 of the Sony MB-150H woofers Johnny reviewed. They look like they spec similar to the Peerless.
    Picked them up on Ebay for $7 each.
    Look forward to your MMTMM if you decide to build it.

Those are pretty nice little drivers, and if you like yellow cones they are nice looking drivers.

I have a signature.
  • I wouldn't put those Peerless in the same category as the Dynavox, but at $16 they are currently a very good bargain. Get 'em while you can.

The current price on the Dynavox gives me a sinking sensation that Newark may stop stocking the brand. Seems a good opportunity for someone to step in and start distributing them.

hifisideugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • I picked up 6 about three years ago at $21.21 each. Then they went OS and came back. They seem to drop the dynavox prices on occasion, at steep discounts.

• @jr@mac said:
    I wouldn't put those Peerless in the same category as the Dynavox, but at $16 they are currently a very good bargain. Get 'em while you can.

The current price on the Dynavox gives me a sinking sensation that Newark may stop stocking the brand. Seems a good opportunity for someone to step in and start distributing them.

I completely agree with this

• All good information, thanks.
    Is there any love for the Silver Flute 5 1/4 inch woofers at $28?

• I've only heard Silver Flute drivers maybe three times. They weren't bad but they aren't on my list of drivers to try.

Ed_Perkins
  • edited February 2023

10-4 on those Flutes
    Looks like the DCR on those Dynavox are a little low for dual woofer use. Still might pick up a quad though.

• The silver flutes are okay, and built well for the price. They are lower cost units simply put. The problem with most of the builds I've heard with them, is that the inexperience of the builder does not fix the breakup or other issues they have. They are just cheap and readily available, which makes first timers use them. The 5.25" has rough breakup issues that are pretty difficult for the newb.

The dual use would be fine once coil dcr is added. I've seen several mtm and tmm builds with the D'voxes.

Steve_Lee
  • Copy that Wolf.
    Maybe a quad woofer for the Dynavox? How about that?

• @Mitchell_Cote said:

Is there any love for the Silver Flute 5 1/4 inch woofers at $28?

IF you choose to go this route, Meniscus has ONE close out woofer left on clearance for $15.88. (Depending on where you are, shipping is probably another $15, although that is probably the case for Madisound too.)

• @Mitchell_Cote said:
    Copy that Wolf.
    Maybe a quad woofer for the Dynavox? How about that?

If using a quad; Pe would go up, HD would go down, box would double yet again, dB would be equal to pair due to series parallel wiring, and arrangement of drivers could yield more options. I would wager an MTMWW, with 2.5 way arrangement would be quite capable.

Just also remember DanP built a TMM with waveguide using 2 parts in the xover.

Steve_Lee
  • That TMM by DanP sounds interesting, do you have a link Wolf?

• Don't let the 3.5mm xmax on the Dynavox scare you, it's very conservative.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Don't let the 3.5mm xmax on the Dynavox scare you, it's very conservative.

?

• @jr@mac said:
    The current price on the Dynavox gives me a sinking sensation that Newark may stop stocking the brand.

The LW5004HR-NM01 (yellow) was on sale and now has zero stock. The LW5004PMR-NM01 in this thread is on sale with 32 in stock right now. Both say more stock is anticipated August 28, 2023.

• @PWRRYD said:

@ugly_woofer said:

?

I stand corrected, but it's still a very good driver.

• I think an MTMW or MTMWW with them as the mids could be quite nice.

• @PWRRYD said:

@ugly_woofer said:

?

I stand corrected, but it's still a very good driver.

• @a4eaudio said:

@jr@mac said:
    The current price on the Dynavox gives me a sinking sensation that Newark may stop stocking the brand.

The LW5004HR-NM01 (yellow) was on sale and now has zero stock. The LW5004PMR-NM01 in this thread is on sale with 32 in stock right now. Both say more stock is anticipated August 28, 2023.

The LW6004HR-NM01 WAS bargain priced but has returned to hyper-inflated post-COVID pricing AND is still in stock.

• Now only 24 in stock... get'm while you can!

• @Mitchell_Cote said:
    That TMM by DanP sounds interesting, do you have a link Wolf?

Bare Minimum challenge year will show you the photos at MAC archive. He 3d printed the waveguides for a Corundum dome, so that would not be repeatable. But a cap and coil only, if memory serves.

• Might have been only a cap. It was really cool.

• I'll look that up. Thanks

• It was for sure 2 parts. Of that I am certain.

• edited March 2023

@Wolf said:

@Mitchell_Cote said:
    That TMM by DanP sounds interesting, do you have a link Wolf?

Bare Minimum challenge year will show you the photos at MAC archive. He 3d printed the waveguides for a Corundum dome, so that would not be repeatable. But a cap and coil only, if memory serves.

Those look like the 6.5" Dynavox woofers. Pretty cool.

• edited March 2023

Coil and a cap that could be mistaken for a resistor at first glance.

• What is that bottom thing in the 1st pic-post above ^

Looks like a speaker but more like a port?