Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Kid wants to build some speakers

edited February 2023 in DIY

The kid told me a few weeks back that he wants to "build speakers like you and Johnny". Come to find out he has a wood class at school and thats what he wants to do for a project. So to keep it simple Im going to put together some odds and ends for him and use the Tang Band W3-2141 3" full range. The cabs have been modeled and I put a little bit of bump in the ass end , not much but thought it might help. Question , I have all of the hardware for him , and was wondering if I should put some poly fill and some cabinet liner in the "kit" for him , one or the other or both?

Silver1omoSteve_Leejr@mactajanesdynamo

Comments

• Polyfill is nice that it can be tuned easily. I would definitely use something in the box.

• Poly needs a bit of control in a ported enclosure so I'd give liner over poly. My builds use poly fill or fiberglass in a poly batting baggie.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • For a full range I'd line the cabinet. For a small cabinet check out the fabric stores for 1" high density foam. It cuts really easily with an electric carving knife if you have one.

Ron

• Aaaaand this is why ,I love all of you guys.

• The boy is making progress . One cab almost done. I think hes doing a bang up job so far!

jr@macSteve_Lee6thplanetSilver1omohifisideduanebrotajanesRon_Edynamo
  • Wished he wouldve asked , and he is , but he drilled some through hole into the sides of the cabs for the dowels. instead of wedging them in. Guess its just extra mechanical support? Hes still rocking them out though!

Silver1omojr@macSteve_Leejhollanderkenrhodes6thplanet
  • Filler & veneer hides a lot of mistakes!

Steve_LeeNicholas_23
  • A few sets of dowels with end grain circles on the sides might actually be a cool look...

Turn2Nicholas_23
  • um , hmm . Did he put the bracing in different ends of the cabs? Sure looks like it.

• NM , optical illusion

• was looking at speaker holes and port holes