Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Peerless by Tymphany NE180W-08 6-1/2" Fiber Cone Woofer

What are your opinions on the Peerless by Tymphany NE180W-08 6-1/2" Fiber Cone Woofer

Comments

• Well, spider venting is adequate ;)
    David

• I have a pair of the 4 ohm model. I've heard several builds with the NE drivers and only a couple have impressed me and been IMO notable. In simulation, I've found them to be more wobbly in response than others and takes special care to flatten them out. Of course, they could actually be better than that in reality. I won't know until I measure them.

Gowa
  • Someone here can likely give a lot more info on this.

https://projectgallery.parts-express.com/home-audio-video/texas-flood/

• edited March 2023

The -08 version was tested HERE. And his summary:

Build/Construction:
    A paper cone with some larger wood fibres embedded and a rather deep curved profile. Thin compliant rubber surround like the Usher and ScanSpeak. Excellent ventilation all around thanks to the tiny neodymium motor. The motor pole is vented as well as the voice coil former. A thick copper sleeve can be seen through the former holes. The tinsel leads are woven and glued into the spider and there is a second set of 'dummy' tinsel leads placed on the opposite side of the spider to make the assembly symmetrical. Tested June 2018.

Performance:
    Very low non-linear distortion of all types, near-perfect Le(x). Good sensitivity. The frequency response is respectably flat and extended - it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call this a 'full range' driver (though I wouldn't recommend using any 6.5" driver full range). Very reasonably priced for this level of performance and perhaps one of the most suitable woofers for a 2-way speaker at any price.

• I just finished a crossover for the 5" version and I found that one to have a very clean sound, so if the sound stays consistent in the family I would not hesitate to use the larger version.

• There have been some comments recently over at diyaudio..in general highly praising the NE123 and NE149 but not nearly as much experience with the NE180.

NE123 were used in Statements II and NE149 in Microstatements and Finalists. Last time I looked (last week) Solen had three NE 149s in stock and NE180s were available on AliExpress..

• I've got a pair in storage. Never heard them, but tested my pair of NE123W mids and they were super smooth and call leading low distortion. Expect the same from the NE180s

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I have used the 4 Ohm version for nude OB midrange duties and found it to be pretty good in that role. IMO these are well designed drivers overall.

• Were there any commercial designs that used the NE series ? I dont recall seeing any.

• Now that you mention it, me neither.

• I won a pair of the NE225w-04 at DIYSD, donated by Madisound I believe. Someone (maybe DIYMobile?) Kipple tested that model and everyone tore them up online. I can tell you in my bass bins paired with a couple different MT designs those woofers sounded GREAT!!!

rjj45
  • The Cherry Pi's use NE225W-08 woofers. My nephew has a pair of the 10" version for a project if he ever gets around to it.

https://projectgallery.parts-express.com/home-audio-video/cherry-%cf%80s/

Ron

Gowa
  • Always loved the sculptured design of those drivers. Hated to see the back hidden in an enclosure.

• They've got speed holes, so you know they are fast

• edited March 2023

Yep, that is where my plots for modeling came from, adapted of course.

• I got a 2021 built driver to test after reading Tim Fellappa review. This was when my distributor (AU) informed me of Tymphany’s direction. (See below)

But it tested just like Zaph and HifiCompasss and the spec sheet- ie. lots of which resonances which DSP would straighten. But might take extra effort for passives.
    Great motor though.

Once they are sold out there will be no more coming in- the Factory will not make any more until they have enough orders to do production run
    The ETA is Maybe 6 months or more. If not enough orders they will delete

Distributor even suggested I switch to SB Acoustics, “much more reliable and they have a good range.”

• I did a design years ago using it with a XT 25. I was not overly impressed with it - very hard to work with. The motor is world class, but the response ended up being pretty wonky.

I have a signature.