Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival MTM build

2»

Comments

• edited May 2023

Thanks for everyone's help - I am going to call these done for now :) Did some more x/o work and was able to get the woofers breakup down to a reasonable level. I also pulled a bit of the polyfill out as I think I put too much in from the start and moved the speakers closer to the wall which really helped the low end.

Went with 3rd order on the woofer and then played around with the cap value across the coil to try and get the breakup down. Red was the one I used, a .47uf.

And final response as well.

I built a removeable panel on the back for the crossover to attach to if I want to make some changes to tweeter level and such later on.

I had a little measure twice cut once moment and had to fill in some holes I drilled in the wrong spot for when I was cutting out the back panel - nothing a small dowel rod can't fix B)

Crossovers wired up and installed in the cabinet.

Now I just need to decide on how I am going to finish these. The front has a 3/4" round over so I might just roll on some Duratex and call it good.

6thplanetTurn2rjj45GowaSteve_Lee
  • Those drivers need better than Duratex, but it's your build. I love those Clarity CSA caps!

6thplanetsquamishdroc
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • In the event the peak at 1k starts to grate on your ears, a small added resistance (1-3 ohms) on the Solen could help there. If you find the top end lacking, a small cap across the Achromic resistor (1-2.5uF) there can help.
    I think what you have there looks very good.

squamishdroc
  • edited May 2023

Man those CSA caps have some serious leads!

Just for clarity, I believe Wolf is suggesting to add that small resistance in series with C2 to damp the knee of the filter a bit. And to add the small cap in parallel with R3 to bypass a bit of high end around the padding resistor.

• @rjj45 said:
    Those drivers need better than Duratex, but it's your build. I love those Clarity CSA caps!

@PWRRYD said:
    Man those CSA caps have some serious leads!

Just for clarity, I believe Wolf is suggesting to add that small resistance in series with C2 to damp the knee of the filter a bit. And to add the small cap in parallel with R3 to bypass a bit of high end around the padding resistor.

That's what I like about those caps - the nice thick leads and they look good too B)

@Wolf said:
    In the event the peak at 1k starts to grate on your ears, a small added resistance (1-3 ohms) on the Solen could help there. If you find the top end lacking, a small cap across the Achromic resistor (1-2.5uF) there can help.
    I think what you have there looks very good.

Will try the resistor/cap trick and see if it helps 👍

• Nice idea with the dowel rod.

squamishdroc
  • @Kornbread said:
    Nice idea with the dowel rod.

Ya - that was a life saver =)