Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

How many drivers do you have?

13»

Comments

• edited May 2023

How low do you need to go with that Kartesian subwoofer?

SBA does its IEC 268-5 power testing with a 2.6Khz 2nd order Butterworth filter in place. And rated it at 30W. So it should hit 100dB.

I can easily dial in a Bessel/Butterworth/LR or 2nd order variable Q filter at arbitrary frequency, and test distortion and compression effects at 0.895/2.83/8.95V (0.2/2/20W) with DSP.

After i test the limits of a tweeter, I generally move forward with selecting the crossover point. For a single mid bass/midrange the tweeter is often not the limiting factor. On the other hand a pair of 12” woofers and a high sensitivity midrange the tweeter can be the limiting factor.

Just let me know if you need any numbers on the SB19. I don’t recall if there are any independent measurements for it…

I’m not too fussy with tweeters- so your preferences for tweeters may be different to mine.

Steve_Lee
  • edited May 2023

I crossed an SB19 at 2500Hz 24db/oct in my 2015 Iron Driver entry. It placed 2nd. I also used the SB19 in my 2018 Iron Driver entry crossed at 3Khz 24db/oct. It placed 1st (I was the only entry ;) )

Ron

tktranSteve_Lee
  • Some like it, but the SB19 is not on my list to try, and I have a lot of tweeters already.
    The response is better at 2k on the sub120 than above, for flatness. I have options...

• edited July 2023

I see a disturbing pattern to my building collection of drivers > I come up with an idea for a built, spend months with my graph drawing paper and endless calculations, order the drivers and then get caught up in home projects not getting around to making sawdust. In the evenings I take a look at what is being built here, revisit some of my fav speaker design companies (several British) grab a bottle of cabernet and pull out my graph paper and… damn, I really need to go that direction. (I.e. X10 sub mksound, just with a pair of 7 or 8in drivers with a coaxial), https://mksound.com/products/x-plus-series/x10-plus/

Steve_Lee
  • edited July 2023

I’ve always like the impressive look of M&K subwoofers, but what are they exactly?

Is it just 2 drivers in a single box? Is the driver with the exposed magnet sharing the same cabinet as the driver with the cone visible?
    Drivers are connected in parallel but in reverse electrical phase so they are both in same acoustic phase?

One day I should build one for fun, with 2 drivers, I’d rather have 2 subs…

• @tktran said:
    I’ve always like the impressive look of M&K subwoofers, but what are they exactly?

Take a look at their webpage / white paper
    The X series is an interesting sealed design.

Steve_Lee
  • M&K made push pull subs, 2 occupying the same cabinet with one mounted in reverse and flipped polarity.

• @Wolf

What are the advantages of such a thing (apart from marketing or product differentiation) ?

• edited July 2023

Claimed (with measurements) advantages; offset some of the distortion inherent in the drivers' movements via a push-pull arrangement, and going with sealed skips the destructive (and constructive) interference as seen in both the steep falloff of vented / ported / pr designs, and added frequency interference (combing squiggles) above targeted range. Sealed approach requires more 'driver' than a vented system. It puts clean over just low as a priority.

Vented done right works well, but sealed can provide advantages.

Steve_Lee
  • I recently sold a bunch on Ebay so that is a positive. I just sorted things in to potential projects and I do not need an additional 11 pair of speakers, two powered subs, and a bass shaker setup. I just do not.

Expect a fire sale of some fairly nice drivers at IowaDIY.

JasonPtajanes
    I have a signature.
  • Just ordered 2 more RSS210HO-8s.

Going with a ~M&K push-pull design (net 4ohms), and will try bringing in what I 'learned' from my shrinking sealed / aperiodic vented box experiment (previously posted), only now with twice the Sd. Then I can switch in and out a top box with either Audio Nirvanas, Celestions, or Beyma coax's, for the mid/top end.

So, I can add a pair of RSS210HO-4's to the Iowa for sale table (which happen to be backed ordered @PE, if anyone interested).

• @jr@mac said:

Expect a fire sale of some fairly nice drivers at IowaDIY.

Will be bringing a gangsta roll of cash.

Steve_Leehifiside
  • Who makes the RSS drivers for Dayton? Any ideas why the prices have more the doubled?

I can now get Danish made Scan-Speak drivers at lower prices than Taiwanese made Dayton Audio RS/RSS.

It's a bit of perverse universe. Or a good problem to have.

Depending on how you look at the half glass of water.

• edited July 2023

The HE might be, but the original RSS too? Is the RSS210HF-4 now $200?
    Nope, it's $139 now. Not twice...

• Weren’t the original RS225 like $35?