Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Pocket size multitool

edited March 2023 in DIY

Been on a VoIP project at work and thought he would be handy to have a multitool in my pocket or on my belt. Curious if any of you EDC one of these ? I see Gerber and Leatherman popping up quite a bit online. I would pay up to say around a 100 bucks maybe a little more if its a quality piece .

Best Answers

• Answer ✓

Had a nice sliding Gerber that I really liked. Looked similar to the 600 on Amazon. It went where I went back in my news & band days. I got a hex bit adapter that slipped over the Phillips. Carried some small nutdriver bits for tripod adjustments at work. Saved my bacon more than once! If I had to buy another multitool, it would be probably be another Gerber.

I have an old Leatherman around here somewhere. It hurts your hand if you need to use the pliers with any force. It's similar to the current Bond model. My brother-in-law gave all us guys some LL Bean branded multi-tools for Christmas one year. I use it at work all the time. The foldout Phillips head broke, but the pliers are great. It's ridiculously heavy compared to a Leatherman or Gerber.

• Answer ✓

I second SOG power plier

• Answer ✓

I love my Victorinox Swiss tool MX, but you know it's on your belt (heavy). My back up is the Gerber Suspension, it was a gift, there are better ones out there. If I bought another it would be something from Leatherman.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Answer ✓

The Leatherman P4 is an amazing tool. P3 is nice but as an avid EDC and knife fan I need a plane edge knife and the P3 is a combo. I have a Gerber that I carry backpacking and it does work great, knife is secondary in that application.
    I really wish someone would make a multi tool with a good blade steel.
    Kinda surprised to see so many SOG recommendations as Leatherman and Gerber seem to own the market. I will have to put that on my list to check out.

Answers

• I've had mine for a LONG time. It was about 45 clams when I ordered it some 25 years ago.

• Oh no, I've had mine 19 years... thanks for making me feel old.

• Ooh - I do like that SOG! I had never seen those before.

• The PowerPlier compound leverage, the non needle-nose jaws, and the feel during use was what made my choice. Apparently, the PowerLock is not as good with bolts and feels less hardened as reviewed by some. The original is sought after by collectors of multitools. Either way, i like the quality of fe SOG tools.

• Thanks for the intel guys , wasnt sure how many of you used these tools in the wild. Onto researching . EDC knife is my spyderco para 3 . Great bade , just run a ceramic sharpner along the edge ever so slightly and its go to go. Ill post on what I decide . I appreciate you guys and the input.

• edited March 2023

I carried a leatherman juice for a while. The compactness was nice to live with daily and the knife edge lasted years without needing sharpened.

I'd go between carrying either a multitool or more dedicated pocket knife. Vast majority of IT uses on-site were just the knife as I would rather go and get my tool bag before using the multitool anyway. Though away from work it was always nice to have a bottle opener and corkscrew on me.

• My multi tools are in my cars along with a rescue knife. I EDC an office acceptable knife and a Olight i1R2

• edited March 2023

Not judging or inferring anything, but we have a maintenance guy who pretty much only carries a Klein 11 way screw driver, a multi-tool, a pair of channel locks, and a flashlight (when its' battery isn't dead). He strips more screw heads and rounds off more hex bolts than anyone else.

When I have to help out and fill in for maintenance I love having my full bag of tools and a great Astro-Light. With my failing eyesight I need all the help I can get :s

• I never heard of a multi-tool until this thread. I Googled it when I read it and thought..."oh, kind of like a Swiss Army Knife" :#

• Pocket dump! Let's go!!!

• Baller with the hundos!

• Plus a small Iphone, I like to travel light

kenrhodesNicholas_23
  • Dont carry both spydercos at the same time but heres mine. No hondos in my wallet lol.

kenrhodes
  • In all honesty I had a coat on. The lighter ka-bar and headphones live in my Carhartt vest. The $1k is from a payment, no reason to walk around with 1k.
    John, I like that knife! Classy.

• That's the Boker Kansei. I like the knife but not a fan of the build quality.

Nicholas_23
  • edited March 2023

I just remembered this! My wife gave me my Gerber for Christmas. Our oldest was about 6 and got a Harry Potter castle from Grandma. Stupid me - instead of using the correct tool to cut the zip tie holding the castle to the packaging, I whipped out that shiny new blade. It easily cut that zip tie like it was melted butter and then continued right into my middle finger. I was Dad #4 getting stitched up at the ER. It was only 9am and they were expecting quite a few more toy removal injuries by the end of the day.

Steve_LeejhollanderColonel7Silver1omoNicholas_23
  • edited March 2023

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Old-School-Dykes, for the win!!

BTDT.

The right tool for the right job at the right time - IS in a tool kit nearby and not in your pocket very often . . .

• WTF!!! No herb grinders?

• What is a herb grinder?

Turn2
  • @Turn2 said:
    WTF!!! No herb grinders?

I have one.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    What is a herb grinder?

Its for your oregano , Jonny likes to cook.

• @Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:
    What is a herb grinder?

Its for your oregano , Jonny likes to cook.

Yeah, that's it...

I have a signature.