Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

CSS Audio's Flagship Audiophile Speaker into an Absolute Monster! 20Hz !

Comments

• Yep, watched that. :)
    Point blank, Wilsons tend to be hot in the treble, so you don't want that anyway.
    This video sure stirred up the squiggle watchers at ASR. Blah blah this, poor this and that, blah blah caps don't sound different. (My foot they don't.)
    I did make an observation and am curious though, of graphs someone provided over there about the vertical adjustment and results. The specs say xover is 2.4k, when it sure looks like 1.6k in the measurements.

PWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • @Wolf said:
    Yep, watched that. :)
    Point blank, Wilsons tend to be hot in the treble, so you don't want that anyway.
    This video sure stirred up the squiggle watchers at ASR. Blah blah this, poor this and that, blah blah caps don't sound different. (My foot they don't.)
    I did make an observation and am curious though, of graphs someone provided over there about the vertical adjustment and results. The specs say xover is 2.4k, when it sure looks like 1.6k in the measurements.

ASR reviewed our 1TD-X, which is crossed over at 1500-1600Hz. Even though they're the same drivers, the Typhon crosses over at 2.4kHz, which just worked out better in the 3-way with sloped baffle. The higher xo point also supports the higher max output level of the 3-way system. F3 is about 32Hz but Jay was really excited about the idea of 20Hz in-room extension.

• Will you be signing autographs in Indy? =)

jr@machifisiderjj45PWRRYDe6zion
  • For reference, this is what I was reading...
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/css-audios-new-flagship-speaker-the-typhon.43427/page-3#post-1541010

Maty comes in sporting data plots at about post 24, datasheets, VoiceCoil plots, etc. Post 34 shows the Typhon tilt mechanism response shifts with the xover at 1.6k. Now, I don't know where he got it, or if he transposed or photoshopped it, but that is where I saw the different xo points, as well as others seeing it too. If you say it's 2.4k, I believe you, just that others are in disbelief from this posted information.

So, F10 is about 20Hz then? Much more believable that is. I bet you'll pop in over there....

I look forward to hearing these hopefully at AXPONA if you'll be there... Or InDIYana for that matter if you want to...

• I got the email, those are absolutely gorgeous! Love the wanut and black.

• It's hard to enjoy a discussion at ASR, seems there's more trash talk than facts. What good are speakers and conversation without some love?

Steve_Leerjj45
  • Can't say I disagree, a bunch are ready to lynch any company or builder that don't have perfect polars over there.

• @Wolf said:
    For reference, this is what I was reading...
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/css-audios-new-flagship-speaker-the-typhon.43427/page-3#post-1541010

Maty comes in sporting data plots at about post 24, datasheets, VoiceCoil plots, etc. Post 34 shows the Typhon tilt mechanism response shifts with the xover at 1.6k. Now, I don't know where he got it, or if he transposed or photoshopped it, but that is where I saw the different xo points, as well as others seeing it too. If you say it's 2.4k, I believe you, just that others are in disbelief from this posted information.

So, F10 is about 20Hz then? Much more believable that is. I bet you'll pop in over there....

I look forward to hearing these hopefully at AXPONA if you'll be there... Or InDIYana for that matter if you want to...

Oh good looking out Wolf, I hadn't seen that. Not sure why the graph on our website looks like that. Kerry may have adjusted the window it to show the effect better and the individual responses got skewed. I'll have to check that out.

That ASR crew is hilarious. Last time Amir and a bunch of 1TD-X owners said they sound great while the other 90% of responses trashed them based on the graphs. This time, they don't even have graphs and the torches and pitchforks are still flying high! If only a speaker could sound good without a waveguide...

hifisideSteve_Leeugly_woofer
  • You can fix the problem, just put "Topping" on the front, and the love will flow at ASR.

e6zionSilver1omoWolfPWRRYDScottS
  • Good one, Nick, but I'm sure this would be met with copyright infringement, even if Topping doesn't care about infringement of other companies here.😄

• Taupping.

• edited April 2023

Hang around long enough on ASR and you’ll learn who to ignore, like Maty, Rick, Tangband, Abdo123.

Mostly I hang around for some CTA2034A; but learnt to ignore commentary by Amirm; he really shows up his ignorance (there’s nothing with that) but he’s as moveable as Ayers Rock:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-chora-816-speaker-review.42988/page-5#post-1522496

Sometimes you get to chat to share knowledge with some real Audio Science nerds:

Floyd O’Toole-
    Newsflash!! He doesn’t use Preference Score to evaluate speakers:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/blind-listening-test-2-neumann-kh-80-vs-jbl-305p-mkii-vs-edifier-r1280t-vs-rcf-arya-pro5.43343/post-1536601

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/blind-listening-test-2-neumann-kh-80-vs-jbl-305p-mkii-vs-edifier-r1280t-vs-rcf-arya-pro5.43343/page-11#post-1540499

Oi Jack mate! Will ya please put a full copper sleeve in next gen KEF Uni-Q?
    (2022 latest release Uni-Q from KEF Blade 1 Meta doesn’t have one, even though they cost $30K)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r-meta-series-release.41420/post-1487851

Dan,
    Best wishes to you on this new endeavour. But Jay? Really?

What about Erin… he’ll be back soon…

• Nope, I would not pair with ErinH either.

• If, and a big if, you wanted to increase attention of your design, who would you partner with?

• Stereophile

• I found this quote from O'Toole in one of tktran's links interesting. Maybe Bill will find it interesting too :) :

"There is little experimental evidence that I am aware of relating to vertical directivity. There is no doubt that ceiling floor reflections are audible, but the best designed experiment I know of indicated that listeners were not happy when the floor reflection was removed. Humans have evolved with a hard reflective surface always under their feet. Section 7.4.7 in the 3rd edition discusses it. The folklore, though, is extensive."

• Interesting. Ed, I think you may need to revise your PETT signature just a tad. Maybe the "real" elephant in the room is the floor! ;)