Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New project: the "Twenty 6Rs"

I'll start off by saying while the project name is not all that clever it is meaningful.

A few years ago right after MCM was bought out by Newark they had a pretty sweet sale on some of the MCM drivers. I picked up quad of the 55-5670 cast frame, paper cone 8", with Rubbber (LOL) surrounds. On sale they were $26 each!

Not too long ago Madisound had a nice sale on the Peerless by Tymphany Beast Mode tweeters... $26 each!

Most recently I bought a quad of the Dynavox LW5004PMR-N 5.25" drivers from Newark on sale for... you guessed it, $26 each!

Here's the drivers just sitting on the floor to get an idea of overall size:

I'm getting too old to carry 48" tall towers up and down the stairs during the construction, measurement, and finishing phases so these will be built as two part modules; a bass bin for the two 8's and a top cabinet for the MTMs. I'll probably use some very large roundovers for the MTM cabinet baffle sides.

I picked up a bunch of those Menards 8' PB shelf boards so that will keep the cabinet costs down. These should be ready to demo by Iowa this fall.

hifisidejr@macSilver1omoColonel76thplanetjhollander4thtryrjj45Ron_EScottSand 4 others.

Comments

• That is a lot of speaker for $260 in drivers!

• I'm with David! I bet that will be stout, sound good, and look good too.

• I was very inspired seeing some of those cool pictures from Axpona with the TMWW and MTMWW configurations. Speakers with lots of drivers look impressive to me. Then I was looking at the Purifi drivers over at Madisound's site and realized that my entire project's ten drivers are almost $40 less than a single 4.5" Purifi driver. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Purifi drivers aren't great, but... :#

Anyway the intent of this project is to have some fun, use up some of my dusty drivers, and make these cost effective drivers sound as great as I possibly can. A pile of cheap particle board shelving material, some free shipping cardboard tubes, and a little house paint B)

6thplanettajanes
  • edited April 2023

=) > @PWRRYD said:

I'm getting too old to carry 48" tall towers up and down the stairs during the construction, measurement,

Isn't that why you had kids? =)

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Modern day kids don't know how to chop wood or bail hay... just sayin :s

Steve_Lee
  • No, but they can type with their thumbs like a motherfucker.

ugly_wooferPWRRYDDrewsBrewsjhollanderEd_Perkinsjr@macWolfrjj45tajanestktranand 2 others.
  • That is a bad ass combo and crazy that you got them all for $26 each! Really looking forward to this one!

• Gon' be sweet!

I've got a pair of the 55-5670s. But after messing around with em in WinISD IDK what I can do with just 2. I guess a pair of lower power subs or something.

• That looks like a great combination of drivers. Should sound really good!

• These are going to be epic!

• edited April 2023

@DrewsBrews said:
    ... But after messing around with em in WinISD IDK what I can do with just 2.

Pretty much anything you could/would do with a pair of RS225p's. Which is mostly the woofer in a 3-way or you could torture yourself with another 8" two-way ;)

6thplanetDrewsBrewsSteve_Lee
  • edited April 2023

@a4eaudio said:
    ...or you could torture yourself with another 8" two-way ;)

NGL I would if I could...

Yeeeeahh maybe not..

If ya give em some box space to breath they could be lil monsters, but kinda lose efficiency when doing so. Though, add another to the channel, now your talkin!

Steve_Lee
  • Craig, those ought to wake up the neighbors and sound great. Can't wait to hear them in Ankeny.

Yeah, my back hurts just thinking about moving something like that as a single cabinet. You could put kickback wheels on them with a grab bar in the back. :p

• I've used the MCM 8's and I've heard the Beast Modes, so I know they will work well in this project. The unknown/unheard to me are the Dynavox drivers... Enough of you guys have liked them so I'm not worried about their performance.

• You've heard them, Craig.

I have a signature.
  • Ugly woofer has used them in the moondrops I believe. Those are great speakers.

• How much different is the non-beast-mode of the DX25 tweeter?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Yours?

Yessir.

I have a signature.
  • Those woofer will work well. Toward the bottom of the first page are comments from my friend Charlie who loves them.

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/1678/charlies-mcm-project/p1

• @Mitchell_Cote said:
    How much different is the non-beast-mode of the DX25 tweeter?

Apples and oranges INMHO. The regular DX25 does share a similar response curve and can also cross low but the Beast Mode is just better overall.

I have a signature.
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Ugly woofer has used them in the moondrops I believe. Those are great speakers.

I used them in the Sugarcubes. Also great speakers.

I have a signature.
  • Ah yes! I remember liking both of those projects.

• You may have heard them in my Vijon as well.

• @Wolf said:
    You may have heard them in my Vijon as well.

I don't remember hearing those. Were they like bluish formica countertop boxes?

• Yep, with attached gloss white baffles and RT1.3 tweeters.

• @jr@mac said:

@Mitchell_Cote said:
    How much different is the non-beast-mode of the DX25 tweeter?

Apples and oranges INMHO. The regular DX25 does share a similar response curve and can also cross low but the Beast Mode is just better overall.

Thanks JR.
    Look forward to this build.

• I have a hard enough time just remembering all of my own projects... let alone other peoples' lol

a4eaudioDanP6thplanetWolfjr@macugly_woofer
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I have a hard enough time just remembering all of my own projects... let alone other peoples' lol

I feel your pain.

I have a signature.