Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2023 event entry: Barn Finds

Here's a link to my writeup for my InDIYana 2023 event entry, the Barn Finds. 2nd place!

https://sites.google.com/view/unfeignedstuff/speakers/barn-finds

Woofer: Seas L22RN4X/P 4 ohm
Tweeter: North Creek D28-06S
Crossover: 4th order Bessel-ish @ 1370 Hz

tajanesSteve_Lee6thplanetRon_EVCORPUZ23

Comments

• I really liked those.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Looking at my notes, very smooth and balanced sound. And they really packed a punch in the deep bass, hitting the low notes well from where I was sitting.

• Of the two I picked yours as it had the midrange resolution and a bit deeper bass. Well done!

• I felt this group was the toughest. Scott's had stupendous bass performance, and moved farther than any other theme build there. I chuckled at the "leak" issues written with pencil and arrowed for identification on the back panels. I felt the tweeter was maybe a little more stressed than the other 3, but it could have been where I was located. I did not have a central position due to moving fore and aft the whole time. I liked them.
    Scott is another builder you don't hear much from, but when he shows up with a build, people take notice. I met him at my first Iowa in 2007.
    Scott, I didn't see it in the writeup, but what drove your driver placement decisions? Just curious...

• Great work on that woofer crossover. Tanking the cone resonance likely was key to such a smooth sound. Overall great speaker.

• Thanks guys!
    @6thplanet and @4thtry - if willing to share, who are you? Would like to put a handle with your names/faces ๐Ÿ˜Š

Going into the event, I expected a worse outcome. The final FR is nowhere near as flat as would like, and certainly far from David's near ruler flat result.

In general, I was also really surprised at the quality of bass and vocal mids - with such high inductance, it's clear that there's no copper in that motor. I'm very pleased and plan to keep them. I may have to veneer them first, so my wife will let me out them in the main living room setup to replace my Mini Revelations (15W/8531G and 7100 Revelators) - too thin on bass for such a big room...

@Wolf said:
    I felt this group was the toughest. Scott's had stupendous bass performance, and moved farther than any other theme build there. I chuckled at the "leak" issues written with pencil and arrowed for identification on the back panels. I felt the tweeter was maybe a little more stressed than the other 3, but it could have been where I was located. I did not have a central position due to moving fore and aft the whole time. I liked them.
    Scott is another builder you don't hear much from, but when he shows up with a build, people take notice. I met him at my first Iowa in 2007.
    Scott, I didn't see it in the writeup, but what drove your driver placement decisions? Just curious...

RE: "Leak" ๐Ÿคฃ - yeah, I found it and totally forgot until you pointed it out at the show. That void-filled plywood wasn't ideal to work with. But, it builds a mighty sturdy box.

RE: driver placement - as I mentioned in the writeup, I had originally wanted to use the TW-0.75 enclosures, so I was locked into baffle dimensions. I modeled the diffraction at various locations, keeping the woofer and tweeter as close as possible C-t-C, and planning for a round over on edges, just moving them up and down the baffle. That spot gave the best result in modeling. At first glance, it looks like the tweeter is equidistant from 3 sides, but it's actually further from the top than the sides.
    Another factor was port placement. It's fairly long and I wanted to make sure it had lots of space to breathe. It's basically above the tweeter in height location. It all just worked out, dumb luck.

6thplanet
  • I'm sure someone has a pic of me there. I'm Eric Woodring. I brought the other set of Sansui's

Tieftoener
  • That's the nice thing about being behind the camera. You don't have to put up with seeing your own ugly mug when you're shooting and posting. But Bryan and Marvin caught me at IowaDIY 2021 when I was presenting my Zonker speakers. See two pics below. This was before I re-painted the roundovers with Rustoleum metalic oil rubbed bronze. I'm sure I have one of Eric. Will dig through my photos.

6thplanetTieftoener
  • @6thplanet said:
    I'm sure someone has a pic of me there. I'm Eric Woodring. I brought the other set of Sansui's

Nice, thanks! And to your dad for his service!

6thplanet
  • Bill is a great guy, a great photographer, and the last "Member" :p

kenrhodes4thtryTieftoener
  • Can your guess which one Eric is?

Wolfkenrhodes4thtryTieftoener6thplanetSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited May 2023

Awesomeness photo bomb!

• Eric was the guy who moshed throwing fists by himself between the speakers when Meshuggah was played. Just a genuinely funny guy....

6thplanet
  • Great guy! Always makes me smile.

• Just chiming in late, but concurring with everyone else, your speakers sounded great.

1,000 miles is pretty far, but I hope you make it back to Indiana next year. Hopefully, wolf will get the 2024 theme posted soon (j/k)!

• @a4eaudio said:
    Just chiming in late, but concurring with everyone else, your speakers sounded great.

1,000 miles is pretty far, but I hope you make it back to Indiana next year. Hopefully, wolf will get the 2024 theme posted soon (j/k)!

David, yours were really great! As I told you at the show, that's the best, by far, I've ever heard the RS225 aluminums. I'm not sure if it was the isobaric factor or the PR or both or something else. And sporting a Satori tweeter was icing on the cake. Naturally, you had some excellent crossover design in play as well. I also really enjoyed your other design at the show with the DIY split cone - glad you got the wiring problem figured out so we could listen to them!

• Lol! Total photo bomb! There me is, thanks for the kind words, guys. I don't always act like that, these events bring it out of me. (That's a lie) (I always act like that๐Ÿ˜›)

PWRRYDWolfkenrhodesSteve_Lee4thtryTieftoener