Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, 8th edition

Looks like the 8th edition is now out. Looks like there is an entire new chapter on computer based tools for loudspeaker development. And an entire new chapter on room measurement equipment. Check it out. You can see a sample of the first few pages on the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Loudspeaker+design+cookbook,+8th+edition&crid=2Q7RHH7C7ZT3I&sprefix=loudspeaker+design+cookbook,+8th+edition,aps,194&ref=nb_sb_noss

hifiside

Comments

• Maybe Lance will sign a copy for you in August?

PWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Spelling Vance vs. Lance.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • When I ask Vance to sign my copy, I'll ask him to sign it as Lance instead of Vance. :p

$120 for paperback! Wow! That's 3 times what I paid for the 7th edition! :o

• That is funny! I have a 6th edition that Jeff gave me a LONG time ago...

• edited May 2023

Swing!

• @Wolf said:
    That is funny! I have a 6th edition that Jeff gave me a LONG time ago...

Well, then, I think that you are really due for an update! The 6th edition came out around 2000 or so. I bought the 3rd edition in roughly 1988 and then updated to the 7th edition in about 2008. So I am due for an update as well.

• edited May 2023

__It's not really worth the $120 to me, Bill. Back in the days I got it, I was still using textbook formulae and CAD programs like we have now didn't exist. Between the LDC6 and the older Advanced Speaker Systems from Ray Alden and Radio Shack, I studied both pretty heavy back then. I still use some of the formulas I memorized from them because they are so handy.
    C = 1/(2piRF) * 1000000; C in uF, R is impedance, and F is frequency.
    L = R/(2
    pi*F) * 1000; L is in mH.
    13560/distance in inches = frequency

There are others...__

• edited May 2023

That's true. Alot of those old formulas are really handy and I have many of them committed to memory as well. But I was thinking that it was probably time for me to upgrade as a way to keep abreast of the latest software and measurement techiques. Especially, how to properly measure the room. And to learn more about "Hybrid" loudspeakers using passive T/M filters combined with active M/W filters. The new edition has separate chapters on all the latest stuff going on in these areas.

• edited May 2023

@4thtry said:

… And to learn more about "Hybrid" loudspeakers using passive T/M filters combined with active M/W filters.

Smile

You guys know him ? He reviewed a certain patent in VoiceCoil Mag way back when, now that I’d like signed.

• I have met, seen, and talked with Vance several times when he was present as a judge at MWAF. I'm sure I'm not the only attendee that has.
    Know him? Not well, really, only an acquaintance.

• I’ll wait for the audiobook.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel said:
    I’ll wait for the audiobook.

I'm with you here. I'm sure the book would look impressive in the library but let's be honest - all of the information is public domain at this point.

I have a signature.
  • Totally.
    It's great for new comers, as it was for a lot of us, but pretty irrelevant for the most part.
    ...or as JR stated, for library fodder.

• See Figure 4 (14 pages ahead), See Figure 12 (5 pages behind). In all seriousness I may get a new edition copy and see what the updates are bc it is a great resource at least for me who is new to design.

• @tajanes said:

You guys know him ? . . .

Same as Wolf. I met Vance a couple times, once at MWAF 2018 (Dance studio) and again at MWAF 2019 (the Bingo Hall). At the 2019 event, I talked to Vance briefly about the LDC. He indicated that one of the big areas of future development will be in the area of "Hybrid" type loudspeakers. Very knowledgable on the subject.

• There were other times he was there as well; same year Jeff judged, and in 2015 for sure.