Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Joel

I am saddened to say that my long-time, good friend, Joel Whiterell passed away this past weekend. I was just notified by a local friend of his. Evidently, he had cold-like symptoms and then collapsed a few days later. His Wife's daughter was home and called 911. That is all I know.

I hadn't seen him in a long time and it was great to ride with him to the InDIYana event a few weeks ago. I know he was impressed with many of the new projects and had a great time talking with many of you.

https://obits.mlive.com/us/obituaries/muskegon/name/joel-witherell-obituary?id=51865431

Comments

• Ah damn, RIP. He will be missed

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

Oh man! So sorry to hear this Mark. So very sorry for your loss of a good friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

I'm glad I spent a few minutes talking with Joel at InDIYana. Who would've thought it was for the last time :'(

• Oh man. I am sorry for your loss. Glad we got one more event with him. He will be missed!

• Damn, that sucks. He said that he was feeling better. I always spent some time talking to him at the events. RIP Joel

• edited May 2023

Wow. I am severely saddened right now. Mark- sorry for your loss, and I believe this is a loss most that met him at these events will feel. Mark and Joel came to the first InDIYana I hosted back in 2009, where we all first got acquainted.

Joel was a great guy and a good sight to see when he was present. It was always good to chat with him and see what he was up to. He kept saying he was going DSP for the next go around on his 'wibbins', so "they would get down to bidnit".
    He also laughed that he forgot to reset his alarm for Saturday morning from the day prior and woke Mark up at 5am that Saturday. He loved the hobby just as much as the rest of us....

He will be missed.

• Wtf man. I hadn't seen him in years and was excited to see him at this most recent InDIYana. He said he had been fighting some health issues, but he was past the worst of it. He actually looked younger and in better health than he had when I saw him last and told him as much. Now this? RIP Joel - glad we got to chat one last time. Sorry for your loss Mark - I know you were close to him.

• I'm saddened to hear that. Sorry for you loss Mark. I hadn't seen Joel in a long time, I think at one of the AXPONA events we exhibited at.

• Holy crap! Yeah, very unexpected. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Sorry to hear another brother gone.
    Sincerely I love all you guys/girls. This hobby has brought me a lot of great friends over the years. Hate to hear news like this.

• Sorry to hear this. Glad I got to talk with him on the way to and at the event. It's unfortunate that we didn't know how precious that time was. Thank you for helping him get to the shows like you have. He will be missed.

• Mark, sorry to hear about Joel. He always had nice things to say about designs and was easy to talk to. Like Dan said, I thought he looked good. RIP.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Very sad to hear. I first met Joel at IowaDIY 2013, had dinner with him and Craig K, discussing high end loudspeakers and how they compared to our DIY efforts. Very friendly and easy going guy. Seemed very knowledgeable in the area of high end loudspeaker design and product development. And he seemed to have a very detailed knowledge of how to listen to and make very subtle distinctions between the best sounding speakers. I remember talking to him during the InDIYana "Bare Minimum" competition. I was sitting up front between Ed Perkins and Joel and I can remember him telling me how the DA25TX tweeter could resolve the female vocalist's exhalation on track 3, whereas most of the other tweeters could not. I did not notice this at first, but once Joel had pointed this out, I could clearly hear the difference.  

• RIP Joel, you were a great guy. I also remember Joel pointing out to us which speakers had "fake" bass (harmonics and IM distortion) and which speakers had "real" bass. Such a friendly and knowledgeable guy.