Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Cutting maple

Hey gang, any one have experience working with Norway maple or a variation? Every time I cut it or resaw it I get CRAZY movement. Resawing a piece caused a lot of bowing and even some twisting. The piece i bought was mostly straight and now that i cut a piece off the remaining piece has bowed.

Just curious if i’m doing something wrong or if this is normal or what. I recently cut a handful of lumber from the same place with no problems.

Comments

• Lumber is kinda like meat, some cuts are better than others.
    I have had similar experience when the lumber cam from twisted trees. As your cutting your releasing the stress that was "grown” in the tree. Can be a very frustrating, looking at the grain can help you identify the better boards. There is no fool proof method unless you start cutting your own lumber from trees you felled.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • That's normal for maple. It likes to bind and curl as it's cut.

• It's an unfortunate problem with a lot of woods. Maple can usually be pretty stable, but it is a natural product.

• Thanks guys, guess i’ll use it less to avoid the issues and waste. It seemed to come down fine if planing, but not using it at 4/4 thickness isn’t worth it for how it reacts.

• Not all maple reacts that way.

• Maple is one of the more stable woods. It is prized for its stability, strength, tight knots, and smooth grain. This makes it great as a primary or secondary wood, a premium replacement for poplar. It also paints extremely well. There is almost no instance that maple should not be considered a top contender.

Steve_Leejoeybutts
  • They wouldn't be making musical instruments out of it if it was that bad. You just got a rogue piece.

joeybutts
  • All natural hardwood has its demons.

Wolf6thplanet
  • It is about drying process. In order to remove stress (which is developing in drying process ) wood has to be periodically steamed. Steaming remove stress, that builds up in drying cycle. Good kiln dry wood is stable and will not bowl or twist during sawing. Happens to me and I returned "defected" material for refund.

joeybuttsSteve_Lee
  • This is why I build all of my furniture out of particle board and cinder blocks.

6thplanettajaneshifisideTurn2rjj45joeybuttsSteve_LeeColonel7ScottS
    I have a signature.