Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Water damage, ugh

We had an outside spigot burst sending water into our basement. Fortunately, it wasn't hundreds of gallons, but enough to ruin some spare cabinets, stuffing, ports, etc. And my Veritas build which were sitting empty while awaiting the woofer upgrade. Even with multiple coats of Duratex, the water made its way into the end grain, swelling and breaking the joints.
I was planning on taking them to MWAF this year.
In its place, I decided to take the Victors from a few years ago. They have never been and actually have only been to one event.
Fortunately, the overall damage wasn't worse. It's not a finished basement but losing the Veritas is a real loss. I am very proud of that one. And with the integrated WG,
an easy one to replicate.

joeybutts

Comments

• Booo! Sorry to hear, bro!
    Did you mean to say not easy to replicate?

• Damn, that sucks big time brother.

I have a signature.
  • Man, that sux!
    How did you make those integral waveguides?
    (pocket knife and sand paper?)

6thplanet
  • Dang water.

• That's terrible. I hate when stuff gets damaged for any reason.

• Oh man, that is a real bummer. I had some water enter my basement a couple of years back when a downspout drain plugged up and somehow leaked into one corner of the basement and under the rug of a finished room where I store most of my stuff. Luckily I found it within about 12 hours and the water had not reached any critical gear, etc. Only one or two packing boxed got a bit wet, but I was able to unpack the drivers and everything dried out fine.

Were the speakers sitting on the floor?

• Sorry man, I have had water damage in the past and it sucks to see how quickly water ruins stuff.

• Sorry to hear, having to deal with unpreventable catastrophes is the absolute most frustrating.

• That truly sucks! It's amazing how much damage a little water can do.

• @6thplanet said:
    Booo! Sorry to hear, bro!

Yeah, NOT easy. It can be done, but there isn't time before mwaf

6thplanet
  • @6thplanet said:
    Booo! Sorry to hear, bro!

Yeah, NOT easy. It can be done, but there isn't time before mwaf

• Bad for water, sad for Veritas, yay for Victors!

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Man, that sux!
    How did you make those integral waveguides?
    (pocket knife and sand paper?)

My friend Mike created a "waveguide cutter" using a turntable and router on a pattern. This guide is about 9.5" in diameter and 2.25" deep.

tajanesSteve_Lee
  • Sorry to hear this. Looks like you lost a great deal of hard work. I have not had water problems, but last week I dropped one of my Retro speaker 12" woofers from a height of about 2 feet, magnet first, onto my cement garage floor. The pole piece went "snap" when it hit the floor. VC and cone are now frozen solid!! Now I have to figure out how to replace both woofers in time for MWAF.

Good luck with the Victors. And try not to throw your back out loading/unloading. Those things are really heavy, about 100 lbs each or so, right? Try to get the "close-to-the-door" parking stall on the West side of the building. If I see you unloading, I'll give you a hand.

• @4thtry said:
    Sorry to hear this. Looks like you lost a great deal of hard work. I have not had water problems, but last week I dropped one of my Retro speaker 12" woofers from a height of about 2 feet, magnet first, onto my cement garage floor. The pole piece went "snap" when it hit the floor. VC and cone are now frozen solid!! Now I have to figure out how to replace both woofers in time for MWAF.

Good luck with the Victors. And try not to throw your back out loading/unloading. Those things are really heavy, about 100 lbs each or so, right? Try to get the "close-to-the-door" parking stall on the West side of the building. If I see you unloading, I'll give you a hand.

They are probably right around that. Thank you so much for the offer Bill. It's much appreciated!

• I'll be there too if you want help, but I'm pretty weak. =) =) =)

• And clumsy! :p

WolfScottS
  • @PWRRYD said:
    And clumsy! :p

If Nicks like this Nick and a lefty , I get it, sigh . Sorry man for the water issue , maybe insurance will cover some of that loss if anything else was damaged.

• @Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

If Nicks like this Nick and a lefty , I get it, sigh . Sorry man for the water issue , maybe insurance will cover some of that loss if anything else was damaged.

Fortunately, the basement is essentially unfinished. There was a section of mold that I have already sprayed. All of the damaged materials have been removed and the water sucked up. Just need to wash my curtains and it will be good. It was really do for a proper cleansing, but jeez!

• @PWRRYD said:

Yep, that too.