Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Giant Open Baffle WAW

2»

Comments

• edited June 2023

Does that work Ok crossing on the high end at 200hz? If so, I could shrink the width and do the H frame. I also have a bunch of 3" fullrange drivers that I could use for the high end. I am up for any kind of experiments either these.

I made my open backs (two 12 in Beyma’s per side for bass) to be able to switch out top end, and have tried 2 and 3 in drivers in a 1.5 way array, coaxials (of course not single driver), and my fav broad ranger Audio Nirvana 6.5 in. All fun. I generally targeted 280 to 380Hz Xover from bass unit(s).

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • The deeper you make it the lower the resonance will be. You have the power of DSP on you side, right? Try 8" depth / 16" overall.

Colonel7
  • When you start adding wings or box for air loading the driver you should look for resonances and cross lower. 200 Hz will be close.

charlielaubSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited June 2023

Danny Richie did some videos on his research into ob speakers and ways he uses wings of different lengths to stretch the apparent baffle size and flatten out resonances while keeping the front facing baffle narrow.

• Danny Ritchie uses a baffle that has a cross section like an "L". The front facing leg is shorter than the rear one IIRC. This does help to increase baffle size without creating much of a cavity that will form a resonance. It's a compromise. FWIW I always take whatever he says with a bunch of grains of salt...

Steve_Leejholtz
  • @charlielaub said:
    FWIW I always take whatever he says with a bunch of grains of salt...

Great big crunchy grains..

Steve_Lee6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • I just bought some more mdf to play with. I am going to try the h frame and also add a 3 inch wide and for the top end.

• If those SB full range are available for sale or trade let me know. :)

• I just wanted to post an update on what I have done with the SB 8" full range. I built a Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (TQWT) designed by Nandappe on DIYAudio called the DDVP-20. I used a baffle step compensation circuit consisting of a 2mh inductor and a 6.8uf capacitor. This is the best I have heard this driver, and actually really like it. It has good bass and pretty decent highs for an 8". The imaging is fun, and I really like it. I wasn't a fan in all of the other variants I tried, but this one is a keeper. Just thought I would post it up my findings with this driver.

Steve_Lee4thtryhifisidejr@mackenrhodesugly_woofertajanes6thplanetColonel7Eggguy