Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Radio Shack Optimus Pro X5 Rebuild

Well I pulled these out of my closet when I was taking stock of the crazy driver hoard I need to trim, and just glancing at it I thought - wait will one of my small drivers just fit into these? And, lo, the Dayton PC83-8 fits into the mounting holes of this die cast tiny enclosure...

Looks like I'll need a 2mm spacer to prevent the surround from touching the rim, but that is easily 3d printed. Now, which tweeter...

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
jr@macugly_wooferSteve_LeeRon_ETurn2

Comments

• I would use that tweeter in-situ.

I have a signature.
  • I might have lost the drivers for one of the two already when I took it apart some time back... sheepish

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • @JasonP said:
    I might have lost the drivers for one of the two already when I took it apart some time back... sheepish

Ahhhhhh

I have a signature.
  • Maybe the little OX from peerless if you can find them.

I have a signature.
  • I actually have both OX20 and the OT19 ring radiator sitting here pulled from builds, should be pretty easy to make an adapter plate. Good idea.

• Wonder if that woofer will fit the Lineaum lx5?

• @Kornbread said:
    Wonder if that woofer will fit the Lineaum lx5?

This is a 3" crap-show of a woofer, the LX5 had the driver that the Pro 77 had IIRC which is 5" and a lot nicer sounding. This is years-upon-years old memory though, so maybe that driver was bad too...

• Oh! I forgot I have 4 of these! OC16 or something, got them from digi-key at some point:

Also, that's fuzzy, needs a little vacuum job

• Wave guide it!

JasonP
  • @Kornbread said:
    Wonder if that woofer will fit the Lineaum lx5?

Not a lot of drop-in drivers for the LX5, sadly. The standard pincushion frame 5-1/4" are allegedly close.

I have a signature.
  • edited July 2023

Designed and printed a simple 2mm spacer for the PC83 mounting:

Once installed it gives just a smidge of clearance from the surround of the driver to the frame:

Of course then the tiny M3 screws that came with it won't fit... but M3 8mm length were perfect (2mm longer in thread than the provided ones). I love it when a plan comes together.

Steve_Leekenrhodesugly_wooferhifiside6thplanet
  • On to the tweeter replacement, about 20 minutes work in TinkerCAD (online free 3d model tool from Autodesk) and I printed this thing I'm just calling a 'snap plate' that will be glued onto the final guide/adapter:

Snaps onto the OC16 nicely, and I'll likely just superglue it onto it:

Steve_Leehifiside6thplanetugly_wooferSilver1omo
  • edited July 2023

@JasonP said:
    " ... about 20 minutes work in TinkerCAD ... ".

Yeah, right ... not 20 min for me. Have a lot of stuff I'd like to print, but first have to learn how to draw the stuff so it can be printed. Have an easy button for learning how to draw with cad? ....

Never mind. I see the other thread ...

Steve_Lee