Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

I can't stop.

Folks, I need inspiration. I'm feeling compelled to dive back in before Iowa. Hoping you can provide driver suggestions for a passive three-way. Medium to expensive. No metal. Pretty flexible other than those limitations. Coax? Pro drivers? Anything new and hot?

Have at it!

Comments

• The Satori coax was finally released.
    There are the new Dayton MX and GRS HE woofers. Dayton has the new 2x7 woofer.
    More?

• Wolf beat me to mentioning the Satori coaxial. It's not actually available anywhere yet though, which may rule out something using it for Iowa. https://sbacoustics.com/product/7½-satori-mt19cp-8-paper/

An idea using a new midrange and some good bargains...Dayton Audio AMT2-4, New HiVi poly cone midrange, 10" SB29NRX75-8 woofers.

HiVi Poly cone 5" midrange. https://www.parts-express.com/HiVi-D5.4-II-5-Poly-Cone-Neodymium-Woofer-4-Ohms-297-472?quantity=1

With the two Dayton Audio AMT2-4's left in stock at Meniscus (30% off of $69)
    And the 10" SB29NRX75-8 (One left in stock at Meniscus for $131 (30% off $192), the other on sale at Madisound for $159.

• edited July 2023

I second the GRS HE subwoofers. For not much $ they seem to be able to dig deep for very reasonable enclosure space. That'll let you focus those dollars on the rest of the frequency range.

• The GRS are not woofers, they are true subwoofers - at least the 12" is. The distortion is already audible at 150Hz. Crossed at 60-80hz they are absolute beasts. The 8" might work as an anchor on a 3-way and maybe I'll borrow the pair Nick bought and test it out as a replacement for that 8" 3-way I did with the GRS poly subwoofer, which is absolutely usable as a woofer.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    The GRS are not woofers, they are true subwoofers - at least the 12" is. The distortion is already audible at 150Hz. Crossed at 60-80hz they are absolute beasts. The 8" might work as an anchor on a 3-way and maybe I'll borrow the pair Nick bought and test it out as a replacement for that 8" 3-way I did with the GRS poly subwoofer, which is absolutely usable as a woofer.

True I was messing about with the 8" in sims moreso than the others so that is the one I was most thinking of.

• @jr@mac said:
    The GRS are not woofers, they are true subwoofers - at least the 12" is. The distortion is already audible at 150Hz. Crossed at 60-80hz they are absolute beasts. The 8" might work as an anchor on a 3-way and maybe I'll borrow the pair Nick bought and test it out as a replacement for that 8" 3-way I did with the GRS poly subwoofer, which is absolutely usable as a woofer.

More than welcome to them JR

• Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not going to get a build done by IA. Dang. Will probably attend anyway.

• @maynardg said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not going to get a build done by IA. Dang. Will probably attend anyway.

Yah you better come, not like you are driving from AZ these days.

I have a signature.