Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Precision Port Selection . . . Project Updates (pics)!

2»

Comments

• edited September 2023

Blah1

Blah 2

Blah3

Blah4

6thplanet4thtrytajanes
  • Blah5

Blah6

Blah7

Blah8

6thplanethifiside4thtry
  • Blah9

Blah10

Blah11

Blah12

6thplanet4thtry
  • Blah13

Blah14

Blah15

Blah16

6thplanet4thtry
  • Blah17

Blah18

Blah19

Blah20

6thplanetjhollander4thtry
  • Blah21

Blah22

Blah23

Blah24

Silver1omosilverD6thplanettajanesColonel7jhollander4thtry
  • This combination of drivers are so well behaved together (flat in respective passbands) that the only EQ I have applied is to roll off the bass on the SB20PFC30-4's [image ^] and then applied SPL Levels and XO's by ear.

Next I will start taking mic measurements . . . and to see what my curve looks like right now.

tajanes
  • edited September 2023

very nice build, and all active (x the tw protector cap, which is probably a good move)
    source for your twisted (triple) wire? thx

Steve_Lee
  • Thanks guys!
    These baffles are just for testing - I'll make something nicer once I decide which drivers will remain in this cabinet.

• @tajanes said:

source for your twisted (triple) wire? thx

It isn't twisted but it is appropos for Alabama - its, "Trailer Wire".
    High-end stuff, too - OFC/Tinned 16 AWG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B943FX4V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

tajanes4thtry
  • Just a side note here I thought I would share:

When I had the ports out and had a 4" dia hole in there just to see what it sounded like, I put my hand inside and reached around and grabbed the magnet on the SB20PFC30 while the SPL was kinda high and the sheer violence of thrashing around gave me a whole new perspective concerning these little electrical motors we call speakers and the fact that plastic does flex - a LOT.
    Now I understand why I have yet to see any larger than 8" woofer/sub-woofer drivers made of plastic. YET.

The cabinet is rock solid under all that stress due to the short distances between unsupported/un-braced MDF material.

Cabinets are heavy too - I am really feeling how old I am getting as I add the baffles, and drivers and moving them around.

6thplanetrjj45tajanes
  • OK, these speakers have some hours on them now and they are really starting to come together - literally.
    The off axis listening position is now much wider than it was to begin with and instead of each driver sounding localized regardless of Listening Position [LP] I can stand near-field and midfield and they sound well integrated.
    for a while, I thought this was going to be a failure combo of drivers but that isn't the case at all.

The bass is articulate but lacks what a 10" sub will bring to the mix and is exactly what I wanted so that is great.
    The 2" mid dome and ribbon tweeter are no longer harsh, just well defined now - nothing stands-out.

I tweaked the XO's and pushed the 2" dome lower than I thought I could get away with but it is taking it like a champ.

I may want to try for passives so I can put these where they belong in my little living room and move along to other projects.

rjj45Tom_Stajanes
  • edited November 2023

Friend from VA showed up today and I showed him these speakers/DSP/Amp combo and he kept looking behind the mains for a subwoofer. He was very interested in the tweeters as they were so clean sounding to him.
    I must admit they are getting better all the time with more exercise/play time.

He asked me if I was interested in building some custom speakers for and assisting on a multimillion $ audio set-up for a .gov client he has a contract to manage.

I told him I was too small time for that but I know "some people" - send me the contract specs.

He said there was nothing in the performance of these speakers to lead him to believe I wasn't capable of delivering.

Those SB20PFC30-4's are the sh*t now - so tight and punchy with nice deep bass and zero muddiness.

tajanes
  • nice attention to detail throughout your build

Steve_Lee
  • Most gracious of you, tajanes.

• edited November 2023

Mid Dome crossed at 500 Hz to the woofer and mid to tweeter at 3.6KHz with minor shaping of XO slopes.

Snare, bongos & tympani have just the right amount of snap to them.