Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

It's table saw sled time!

Bought a new to me table saw a while back and now I want to tackle making a crosscut sled for it.

Was thinking of some thing like this, but without the extension:

Planning on roughly 18"x36" dimensions.

Going to make my own stop as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I start cutting?

tajanesSteve_Lee

Comments

• Sleds are amazing. Table saw slots start to matter. Do you have a cheaper tool like in the video or do you have a machined/cast iron table top?

• I built my sled based on a video from the "Wood Whisperer", I didn't watch the video above but the pic looks basically the same. I added the T-slots to mine, which I DO see in the pic above. Also, look up the "5-cut method" if you haven't already.

• @kenrhodes said:
    Sleds are amazing. Table saw slots start to matter. Do you have a cheaper tool like in the video or do you have a machined/cast iron table top?

I have an older Porter Cable with a cast iron top that seems to be in good shape.

kenrhodes
  • @a4eaudio said:
    I built my sled based on a video from the "Wood Whisperer", I didn't watch the video above but the pic looks basically the same. I added the T-slots to mine, which I DO see in the pic above. Also, look up the "5-cut method" if you haven't already.

I am planning on adding 3 T-slots to mine, like in the video, but not the one on top of the fence.

• When I built my sled (it's very basic) I used a zero play miter bar from Microjig.

https://microjig.com/collections/zeroplay

Ron

• Is there a "sled for dummies" tutorial out there? My table saw is finally tuned in as square as I can make it and a sled jig would be a nice addition.

I have a signature.
  • I like my sled for a lot of smaller parts so I wish I would have made mine smaller. I use a panel jig to cross cut anything over about 8 inches wide.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • My old DIY sled just wasn't accurate enough, despite the 4/4 oak fence. I had some gift cards, so broke down and bought a Rockler sled maybe 15 years ago. It's pretty accurate, but the stopblock has some issues. It's about the perfect size for building most bookshelf sized speakers.

• edited September 2023

@jr@mac said:
    Is there a "sled for dummies" tutorial out there? My table saw is finally tuned in as square as I can make it and a sled jig would be a nice addition.

When I built mine, I did some research but most of the guides out there are mostly the same. Which makes sense as a cross-cut sled isn't all that complicated. The Wood Whisperer video I referred to is HERE.

Below are some pics and thoughts:

• I used some particle board with a veneer from Menards that I thought was melamine but it was just a vinyl sticker. If I rebuild it, I will use particle board with both sides Melamine from Menards.
    • The quarter-circle cut-outs of the front corners are just to reduce weight
    • I made the fence out of poplar and particle board, as in the drawing below, to keep it straight (and I added a Formica face only because I had scrap Formica on hand). This ended up being a little too "back-heavy" as I only have a standard DeWalt table saw. If I rebuild it, I would make the fence-side lighter and the front side a little heavier for better balance.
    • Warning label is just some inkjet printable decal paper I have, and me and the kids like the extreme warning image of the fingers being cut off :s With a simple fence, the blade will be exposed as you finish the cut, so my extra-thick fence along with the extra block of red particle board right below the sticker keeps the blade from being exposed to my hands, unless I actually pushed the sled right off the table saw.
    • I have Powertec hold-down clamps that go in the T-tracks on the sled and Powertec flip-stop for the T-track on top of the fence (it appears I built my sled around Jan 2020 :) )
    • Powertec T-tracks are quite a bit cheaper than Rockler or Kreg, but I now buy Clear Style T-tracks from Amazon because they are cheaper, and more importantly the black looks better with my diy shop-built stuff.

Edit: And of course, as everything else in my shop that isn't actaully DeWalt, it is painted in color-matched DeWalt yellow =)

Steve_Lee
  • Started working on my sled, this where it sits:

almost all of the parts have been cut, just waiting to get assembled.
    Made it 36" x 18", so I can cut up to about a 15" wide board.
    I took some photos while building it, I can post them if there is any interest.

tajanesSteve_Lee
  • Sorry JR, no pics of my TS crosscut sled. Pretty much designed from the Wood Whisperer's docs.
    I built in 2 t-tracks left and right with Powertec t-track clamps. Those work great. The attempt at a stop block
    on the back fence, not so much. A stop block is very useful, but not mine, too much slop.
    If you have a good stop block, then you can use a tape on top of the back fence as above for very quick setups
    5 cut method is key! I love knowing that I have 90 degrees dialed in perfectly.

Things I would change on mine.
    Don't need a full length front fence.
    I am undecided whether 3/4 inch thick base is needed. 1/2 should work fine, but the t-track cuts are 3/8" deep.
    Use melamine on the bottom side! Smooth gliding is very important.
    Use HDPE rails. Wood rails inevitable swell or get loose.

Just because your fence is 15" front to back does not mean you can cut 12 inch wide boards.
    Once you back your fence out to cut the board, you will have very little "hold" in the TS slots, and will wobble left to right.
    So I made mine 18" front to back, and I can cut 12-13" wide boards ok.

Every once in a while, I wanted to crosscut a narrow(ish) board that is pretty long (think slim tower speaker)
    plan to arrange some sort of support on the left or right when you need this.

I LOVED showing my (late) wife that the crosscut sled made my work more precise AND more safe.
    Fingers could stay far away from the blade.
    Hope this helps!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!