Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Veneer with rounded (solid) corners

I’ve yet to try veneer as for one I prefer a routed edge and/or round-over look vs tape banding flat corners. So I came across this video using solid wood for the corners that get routed round-overs. Looks very nice, but I’d need to step-up my woodworking game. She makes it look sooo easy. So to the woodworking experts here- on a scale of 1 to 10….doable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=dQk_glgNAQk

Comments

• Give veneer softener a try, you'd be surprised how pliable some veneer can be.

https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Super-Soft-2-Veneer-Softener-Conditioner.html

tajanesrjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • agree with decibel - I've used a lot of veneer - with softener, cherry paper backed veneer is very pliable.
    You can get a high end look if you build your box, cut roundover baffle vertical corners, and run 1 piece of veneer from the back left side across the front to the back right side.

tajanes
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • NBL veneer is a 2 ply veneer that can do radiuses as small as 3/4". I've done lots of projects with round overs and I've done lots of projects with veneer and hardwood trim. Chamfers are pretty easy too. I always use NBL veneer and use the iron on method with Titebound II glue.

This build thread is the most complicated cabinet I've ever done and I'm sorry the thread got massively highjacked. It has veneer round overs, hardwood corners and chamfers.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/58628-grinnell-or-bust

Simple veneer chamfers.

Veneer round overs with with hardwood trim with chamfered hardwood.

Like most new things there's a learning curve but I didn't think it was too steep. I'd suggest building a small box and practicing with some cheap veneer.

Ron

Steve_Lee6thplanetrjj45tktran
  • Fabulous workmanship, Ron!

• @Ron_E said:

WOW

Thanks for the pics and the thread link to your incredible build. I knew it was going to be interesting when early on I saw the massive corner vices, and the close-up of your finished hardwood strips mitered corners around the veneered side panels - spot on !

• edited September 2023

@Ron_E said:
    NBL veneer is a 2 ply veneer that can do radiuses as small as 3/4". I've done lots of projects with round overs and I've done lots of projects with veneer and hardwood trim. Chamfers are pretty easy too. I always use NBL veneer and use the iron on method with Titebound II glue.

This build thread is the most complicated cabinet I've ever done and I'm sorry the thread got massively highjacked. It has veneer round overs, hardwood corners and chamfers.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/58628-grinnell-or-bust

Simple veneer chamfers.

Veneer round overs with with hardwood trim with chamfered hardwood.

Like most new things there's a learning curve but I didn't think it was too steep. I'd suggest building a small box and practicing with some cheap veneer.

Ron

Just gorgeous!

Now the Peerless are no slouch, but it’s cabinets like these that make me wonder why people don’t use TOTL a drivers in the first instance.

Instead of DIY contests; why aren’t we doing more DIY collaborations?

The cabinet designers with the cabinet makers with the crossover designers with nicest drivers.

Musicians work together, so why aren’t we making speakers together?

Drop me a line Ron if you interested in collaborating!

BR,
    Thanh

• @tktran said:

Just gorgeous!

Now the Peerless are no slouch, but it’s cabinets like these that make me wonder why people don’t use TOTL a drivers in the first instance.

Instead of DIY contests; why aren’t we doing more DIY collaborations?

The cabinet designers with the cabinet makers with the crossover designers with nicest drivers.

Musicians work together, so why aren’t we making speakers together?

Drop me a line Ron if you interested in collaborating!

BR,
    Thanh

There are lots of reasons people don't collaborate. Distance would be a real barrier with the cost of shipping being what it is. I have spent more shipping a finished system than it cost to build. There are a few people who do collaborate but I suspect they are near each other.

I have helped people with designs before. I once built a test box, measured drivers, designed a crossover and never heard from them again. They had been sitting on the drivers for a long time and I suspect they didn't follow through with the build and they're still sitting there.

I'm not opposed to collaborating, but I have more drivers than I'll ever get around to using and I have lots of people who I'd like to gift with speakers. I have two family members who are accomplished furniture builders who I will be collaborating with sometime in the near future I hope so I'm kind of booked.

Ron

tktran
  • I collaborate with one individual - he comes up with some neat ideas and has a large driver stash to work with. I do the XO work and used to do the cabinets but our current collab requires better casework skills than I bring to the table.

It is possible, but as Ron said distance is a factor.

I have a signature.