Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Wall of shame - how many pairs do you have?

I have a signature.
hifisiderjj45ugly_woofertajanes

Comments

• Got that beat if I can count the store bought brands along with the diy.

• JR you bringing those 3-ways up front there to Iowa?

• @hifiside said:
    JR you bringing those 3-ways up front there to Iowa?

Absolutely.

rjj45hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Come on JR, you've got way more than that!

• I’ve taken ‘a few’ to the saw (post stripping the components), bagged, and out to the trash. A bit painful- but gets back room on my speaker toys shelves. Out of sight, out of mind (which seems to be getting easier at my age).

Steve_Lee
  • Just ONE wall of shame? :#

jr@macTurn2Steve_Lee
  • @tktran said:
    Just ONE wall of shame? :#

I have a pair in every room plus the garage, so quite a few scattered throughout. Couple more pair in the wings as well.

tktrankenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • @tajanes said:
    I’ve taken ‘a few’ to the saw (post stripping the components), bagged, and out to the trash. A bit painful- but gets back room on my speaker toys shelves. Out of sight, out of mind (which seems to be getting easier at my age).

That is the ultimate fate of many of mine. And yes, it is painful. I compensate by often using the hammer to dismantle them.

I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

Ugh, yeah I'm thinking of doing that for a pair. I'm beginning to understand the aversion for building big. But the urge is strong with me. Sofar I've only done one build under 1cf. That needs to change going forward.

• Would never build just to disassemble or destroy later.

• After I harvest all the parts I usually set the empty pair out at the curb the night before garbage pickup. More times than not they mysteriously disappear before morning. I wonder what those crazy raccoons do with them :p

jr@mackenrhodes
  • I only dismantle certain builds. Nicer ones or builds I spend time on the finish always stay.

I have a signature.
  • I save the nicer ones with finished veneer and repurpose them. I've got one pair of 12L boxes that have had 3 different hard wood baffles bolted to them.

jr@mac
  • I keep meaning to have someone build me a couple cabinets in common sizes as well as a handful of baffle blanks. I lack the ability to drill the holes adequately since I am a maintenance tech at heart and running a drill means hammering that bitch in and then hogging the hole out by rocking the drill back and forth. Just a fact of life in industrial maintenance. Unless the hole already exists, we only know one way to make a new hole lol.

I also keep my interesting builds. Not everything I do warrants keeping.

I have a signature.
  • Late chiming in on this... I have about 8 pairs in various locations around the house, a boombox, a soundbar, two pairs away at college with my sons, and this "wall of shame"

tajanes6thplanetSilver1omorjj45Colonel7
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I took a few preliminary measurements on Matchpoint and threw together a quick crossover tonight. I'm not sure they will be 100% dialed in for Iowa, but the one speaker is already listenable. I'm going to push to bring them in some form.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @ScottS said:
    Late chiming in on this... I have about 8 pairs in various locations around the house, a boombox, a soundbar, two pairs away at college with my sons, and this "wall of shame"

I don't see the A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L speaker selector switch box - are all those wired-up?

• edited October 2023

I can hook up 6 pairs at once. Selector box is the short, wide black box that the clock is sitting on (upper center portion of the rack).

Steve_Leekenrhodes

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Aha! Thanks.

• @ScottS said:
    I can hook up 6 pairs at once. Selector box is the short, wide black box that the clock is sitting on (upper center portion of the rack).

I’m gonna set the best room pic as my wallpaper.

Next time SWMBO complains I have too many speakers, “honey you ain’t seen nut-tin yet!”

Steve_Lee
  • I still have to roll the old fashioned way, and I use exclusively spades here so that is just one more deterrent. If I used nanners, I could roll a lot easier but I like the connectivity from the spades.

I have a signature.
  • You should switch to SpeakON connectors like me ;)

rjj45
  • @PWRRYD said:
    You should switch to SpeakON connectors like me ;)

I thought about that, but the spade + binding post is a positive connection as well. Plus I am invested heavily in the spade ecosystem at this point. I do love the SpeakON connectors, though.

I have a signature.
  • I use the 4 pole connectors so when I'm prototyping crossovers in 2 ways I don't have to snake any wires out of the ports.

silverD
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I use the 4 pole connectors so when I'm prototyping crossovers in 2 ways I don't have to snake any wires out of the ports.

Yeah, one downside to not using them. However, I will be largely going with 4 pole binding post plates on my nicer builds going forward. Like how they look, and will allow me to do sealed 2-way builds without drilling and caulking holes in the cabinet.

PWRRYD
    I have a signature.