Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GR Research Bully

Interesting ...

Comments

• Step back. It's about to get hot in here.

• 94.5dB before BSC maybe. I would not cross that tweeter that low, as not very many tweeters CAN xover that low, and the MTM response looks hot on the tweeter too.
    Cabs are well made.
    Servo woofers are likely okay.
    Yes, you can drive the MTM with pretty much anything, if that is AFTER BSC. It likely is not.

If only you guys that watch Danny knew what Brad is going through with trying to use the M165X woofers he bought from him. Rust on the motors, loose tinsel at cone transition makes noise under xmax, etc....

Just avoid GR......

hifisidejholtzGeoffMillar
  • Tweeter too hot, crossover too low, drivers too close together, and too far off-centre. FR overly smoothed, off-axis described as excellent while showing graphs of fairly poor off-axis. But it is big, loud, and many people will enjoy it regardless, and find it to be miles ahead of the old monkey coffins that this speaker is being compared to.

In the end, I couldn't care less. I'm not a customer, nor the target audience for this product.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Danny and GR are funny... funny like a clown.

• I think my favorite is when he was trying prove that wires sound different using the antenna input on an old receiver. I can't believe he was serious and not at all embarrassed.

GeoffMillarSteve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

@Wolf said:
    If only you guys that watch Danny knew what Brad is going through with trying to use the M165X woofers he bought from him. Rust on the motors, loose tinsel at cone transition makes noise under xmax, etc....

Well finally some info. I mean you can't necessarily fault on the first impression. Was it brought to his attention and he was an a-hole about it or something?

Not that I'm trying to defend, just an outside observer.

• If you read the Audio Circle threads with Danny, you'll see how he can be. He accosted Jeff on the old Mad board for not hearing differences in Bybee slipstream devices at some point. One year he was a sponsor for InDIYana just so he could get a link up to his website, and then would not respond when he did not fulfill his participation. That was the last I talked with him personally. This thing with Brad has been recent, and i'm not up on all of the details.

• He has either been drinking his own Kool Aid for so long that he actually believes his claims are true or he is a pure shyster.

• He was very rude to me when I contacted him to sponsor one of our events. What a weird dude.

I have a signature.
  • Thought the woofer looked good but admittedly, didn't watch much of the vid. Definitely didn't know about his tude'.

• edited October 2023

If that is the case, that makes the thumbnail pic of that vid change context in quite a comical way.

I figured folks would also jump all over the idea of the woofer essentially being a powered subwoofer, and the comment about "not needing subwoofers" in a HT setting.

I know it isn't considered the best idea, but doing something like that has always stuck in my mind as something I wanted to try. That and/or tall subs that double as bookshelf speaker stands. Not all of us have large rooms with spare space for best sub placement. If it is taking up the same floor space as the L/R speakers it is much more feasible.

• Infinity had several designs in the 2000s utilizing the concept. I am effectively doing it today. Not unprecedented.

I have a signature.
  • Danny is not a visionary.

Tom_Sugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • I think it's interesting he hasn't really added any new or different drivers to his site for decades, with the exception of the LGK 3". Same kits....now with Bullet Connectors!

• I've built a number of projects with integrated subs.