Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

5.1 Sound, Stupid Question

Sorry if this sounds rather basic, but I'd like to hear 'Electric Ladyland' in its 5.1 mix. At the moment, we're stereo only.

The recent release of this marvellous album includes a blu-ray disc with a 5.1 mix, which of course won't play through the CD/stereo system.

We do have a Blu Ray player: if we connect this to a 5.1 receiver with two front speakers, two back, a centre and a sub - woofer, will we get 5.1 sound from the system, or do we have a to get a CD player with a 5.1 facility?

Thank you!

Geoff

Comments

• The bluray player should decode the 5.1 just fine.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    The bluray player should decode the 5.1 just fine.

Thank you for such a quick answer!

Geoff

• It has to do also with how the bluray player sends it out, via HDMI, optical, or decoded 6 channels? 6 channels works with even the legacy systems, and has 6 different RCA/phono Jack's sending the various signals. You just have to have 6 channels of amplification to run it, whether in the receiver or separates. Via HDMI, the receiver pulls the audio from the HDMI digital run, sends out via 6 amplified channels. The optical is same as the HDMI in that the player is a transport, and the receiver decodes.

With the formats of bluray in terms of audio, uncompressed 7 channel IIRC, cannot be sent over optical because it requires too much bandwidth. Supposedly 5.1 is sensible just fine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

• Thanks Wolf,

Sorry for another stupid question, but how do I know how the player sends its signal out - should that be in the specs or indicated by the connections on the back of the blu-ray player and receiver?

Geoff

• Most of the inexpensive players only have digital or HDMI output, in which case use your receiver to decode. There will likely be a menu where you choose the output. If you're buying a new receiver, it will likely only accept HDMI or digital anyway. Honestly this stuff is pretty foolproof once you get it in front of you and make the connections.

• @ugly_woofer said:

Honestly this stuff is pretty foolproof .

Thank you, but is it 'Geoff Proof'?!

ugly_wooferBryan@MACSteve_Lee
  • We'll help you along if you get stuck.

• Thank you

Here are the rear panels of the Samsung BluRay player and the Yamaha RX-V367 receiver; the player has HDMI out, LAN Out and Digital Audio Out. The Yamaha dates from pre BluRay days.

The receiver has four HDMI inputs; will it work if I connect the HDMI output from the BluRay to one of these inputs, or should I use the digital audio out terminal and connect that to the "AV1-5" RCA terminals on the receiver (marked as 5 on the diagram) please?

Thank you again for your help!

Geoff

• HDMI should work.

• Thank you, gentlemen!

That should take are of it. At last I shall be able to hear 5.1 mixes!

Jimi said of 'Electric Ladyland' at the time that the album was mixed to have a 3-D sound which had been ruined in the cutting process. Eddie Kramer and Bernie Grundman did the 5.1 mix to try and re-create the sound which Jimi had in mind.

As there's only one HDMI out, if in the future I want to connect the player to the TV to play movies etc, would that then mean that I connect the HDMI to the TV and the 'digital audio out' to the receiver to play CDs/5.1 mixes?

Sorry about these rather basic questions, but they aren't covered in the manuals.

Geoff

• I would just get and HDMI splitter. One in two out.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    I would just get and HDMI splitter. One in two out.

Brilliant, thank you

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:

The Yamaha dates from pre BluRay days.

The description that I have found says, "Your Yamaha RX-V367 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver can be the core of an outstanding personal cinema right in your own living room. You pick the speakers, DVD or Blu-ray player and TV and your V367 will tie them all together." Maybe I'm forgetting the old days (before Blu-Ray), but I didn't think standard-definition DVD players even used HDMI, they had the old yellow RCA or red-blue-green RCA inputs.

I may be missing something, so ignore me if I interpreted the posts incorrectly... But I don't think you even need a splitter. Run the HDMI from Blu-Ray HDMI-out to the receiver HDMI-in and then another HDMI cable from the receiver's single HDMI-out to the TV's HDMI-in. If you have the TV screen on then it will display some sort of menu that shows the tracks and if you have the screen off then the receiver will still play the audio through the speakers. Just like if you put a movie in and keep the screen off, then you will hear the movie but won't see any image until you turn the TV screen on.

You didn't specify the Blu-Ray player so I can think of one exception to the above. Basically the receiver allows you to have multiple HDMI inputs (Blu-Ray player, Xbox, PlayStation 5) and it passes them all through to the single HDMI-output and you just change your input selection. However, if you are playing 4K video then the receiver may not be capable of passing through the 4K signal if it is not a 4K-compatible receiver.

• @a4eaudio said:

@GeoffMillar said:

The Yamaha dates from pre BluRay days.

The description that I have found says, "Your Yamaha RX-V367 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver can be the core of an outstanding personal cinema right in your own living room. You pick the speakers, DVD or Blu-ray player and TV and your V367 will tie them all together." Maybe I'm forgetting the old days (before Blu-Ray), but I didn't think standard-definition DVD players even used HDMI, they had the old yellow RCA or red-blue-green RCA inputs.

You didn't specify the Blu-Ray player so I can think of one exception to the above. Basically the receiver allows you to have multiple HDMI inputs (Blu-Ray player, Xbox, PlayStation 5) and it passes them all through to the single HDMI-output and you just change your input selection. However, if you are playing 4K video then the receiver may not be capable of passing through the 4K signal if it is not a 4K-compatible receiver.

Thanks a4eaudio, the Blu-Ray is a Samsung, for some strange reason it doesn't have a model number.

I thought the player was pre Blu-Ray as I don't remember any Blu-Ray discs or players being around in Oz when we bought the receiver. The receiver was connected to a DVD player and TV through a maze of spaghetti in our holiday house, but the DVD didn't have HDMI on the back panel.

Hence my confusion, but the help provided by you kind people has clarified what I need to do.

Geoff

• David is correct, your receiver has an HDMI out, so you're all set. I never looked at your attachment. My fault.