Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

My Keramiskas build

Just "finished" my Keramiskas build and wanted to share this with you. I've been lurking here for some time now but have been hesitant to post anything because being a beginner in speaker building but maybe this is good time to start :) I'm an electrician and part time music producer myself and have been building microphones and studio gear for over 10 years now.

So I finished my build few days ago and have been tweaking and listening the speakers critically for some time now.
First I have to say that the midrange is as said many times really really good. First I thought that the treble was lacking a little bit but after a time I realized that it is very accurate and pleasing in many ways. For a quite small speaker the low end is also great. I made the cabinet littlest bigger that the original and played around with the port. -3db is about 36hz in my quite well treated space.

My latest builds are the Bagbys "revolutions" and Murphys "BMR's" I would definitely say that The Keramiskas are standing their ground and are at least as good as my previous builds.

The imaging is really nice. It's not overly realistic but very accurate and pleasing in a good way. Overall the speakers are really well balanced and you can basically listen everything regardless of the music genre and be sure that it sounds great. I would say that these are my best all-around speakers that do everything great and you can just enjoy the music.

The cabinet is made from oak and the crossovers are quite basic, using Jantzen crosscaps and Jantzen Coils

Hats off to PWRRYD for a great design!

hifisidesilverDjr@mactajanesJasonPGowakenrhodesjholtzSteve_LeeColonel7and 9 others.

Comments

• Nice. Good looking speaker!

MatiasH
  • those look great !

MatiasH
  • Looking great! and those are an awesome speaker design, I've heard them at two events, very nearly built a pair myself.

MatiasH
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Great looking build, thanks for sharing.

MatiasH
  • edited October 2023

Fantastic looking cabinets and welcome to the board, sir MatiasH.

Do you have any build sequence pics to share with us? (that would be sweet to see).
    Is that White Oak?

MatiasH
  • Welcome aboard! Those look great, and as I've also heard them prior, also sound great!

MatiasH
  • That oak is interesting with a little sapwood mixed in. Gives me hickory vibes

MatiasH
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    Do you have any build sequence pics to share with us? (that would be sweet to see).
    Is that White Oak?

Sorry no build sequence pics. This was intended to be just for my own fun. Next time I need to document everything better.

This is normal laminated oak we have here, but it has one coating of Osmo topoil with slight white pigment. Other coats are transparent so you could say it is "White Oak".

@DrewsBrews said:
    That oak is interesting with a little sapwood mixed in. Gives me hickory vibes

Thank you. It's nice to hear that the wood looks interesting. That is the "normal" oak board we have in our hardware stores but maybe they are somehow different looking here in nordics

• Very "sharp" cosmetics, including the nice speaker stand

MatiasH
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Great job and welcome!

MatiasH
  • If I read your post correctly, you now have the Revolutions and the Kerimiskas.
    If so, have you tested A/B side by side? Any observations?
    Thanks!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Craig really stepped up his game using that woofer with the Viawave tweeter. The existing design was already pretty damn good, however.

rjj45MatiasH
    I have a signature.
  • @rjj45 said:
    If I read your post correctly, you now have the Revolutions and the Kerimiskas.
    Thanks!

Yes that’s correct! I listened them quite a lot before building the Keramiskas. For now they are at my bands bassplayers music room (can’t have too many speakers :)

The Revolutions are amazing speakers and I was quite sure that is really hard to top them at the same pricerange, but the situation is that these two speakers are both amazing and have their own strenghts.

I built the Revolutions with the soft dome tweeter sb29sdac. They throw a huge and amazing soundstage. You could enjoy it forever. The imaging is the biggest and deepest I have ever heard. But The Keramiskas soundstage is more accurate and ”pinpoint”

The midrange is more scooped in Revolutions. If you listen a lot busy rock or metal music then I think the Revolutions scooped midrange may suite better.

The bass is really intresting In Revolutions. It’s like there really is subwoofer in the room but at the same time it’s littlebit loose, Keramiskas is littlebit more punchy.

• @jr@mac said:
    Craig really stepped up his game using that woofer with the Viawave tweeter. The existing design was already pretty damn good, however.

That really sounds interesting! Do you have any observations in mind? I really like The Keramiskas top end and have been quite hesitant with some ribbon designs because at least one of my builds with Raal 64-10x, the tweeter is almost too good/hyper realistic and I find that I just try to find songs that are mixed really well because the not so good mixes sound like garbage :)

• @MatiasH said:

@rjj45 said:
    If I read your post correctly, you now have the Revolutions and the Kerimiskas.
    Thanks!

Yes that’s correct! I listened them quite a lot before building the Keramiskas. For now they are at my bands bassplayers music room (can’t have too many speakers :)

The Revolutions are amazing speakers and I was quite sure that is really hard to top them at the same pricerange, but the situation is that these two speakers are both amazing and have their own strenghts.

I built the Revolutions with the soft dome tweeter sb29sdac. They throw a huge and amazing soundstage. You could enjoy it forever. The imaging is the biggest and deepest I have ever heard. But The Keramiskas soundstage is more accurate and ”pinpoint”

The midrange is more scooped in Revolutions. If you listen a lot busy rock or metal music then I think the Revolutions scooped midrange may suite better.

The bass is really intresting In Revolutions. It’s like there really is subwoofer in the room but at the same time it’s littlebit loose, Keramiskas is littlebit more punchy.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!
    Yeah, I find the Revolutions bass is awesome (to use an over-used word) - at normal listening volumes it sounds like it goes way deeper than you would think. I know it's limits, and I won't drive them hard.
    But I find myself longing for a bit more detail on top than the SB soft dome delivers.
    I really like ribbons and AMT tweeters more these days.

MatiasHSteve_Lee