Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Acoustic Lens Tests

Ran out of time to start measuring but setup is otherwise complete:

Tymphany TC7FD-04 in a monolithic 3d printed wedge enclosure, the test vehicle for the printed len plates. CHECK.
Test plate with no loading. CHECK.
Test plate with a simple plug loading. CHECK.
Bass module - vented MAC-6 in a 7 liter madisound enclosure from when time forgot. CHECK.

measurements in the coming days.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
Steve_LeekenrhodeshifisideSilver1omoNicholas_23jr@macugly_woofer6thplanetsilverDBryan@MAC

Comments

• Fun project, JP. Look forward to your impressions.

I have a signature.
  • This should be neat.

• First measurement of the no-plug faceplate, which given how small it is, I was surprised to see the rather potent boost it gave from 6k to 15k. Details:

• 24" distance
    • SPL roughly 90db
    • 0, 22.5, 45, and 60 degrees rotation

6thplanet
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Plug plate glued into place for testing:

Same measurement conditions, results:

6thplanet
  • Can't say that is a winner. but it for sure is having an effect on the loading of the driver from 5k and up.

6thplanet
  • On the other hand, crossing over to a tweeter at 5k would make it far more viable and it seems to create a waveguide effect on directivity all the way down.

• Now I'll imagine more shapes and see what happens.

• What's going on on the backside of the phase plug?

• Its rounded, about 3-4 mm above the cone dust cap.

6thplanet

• Did you make it so you can screw different shapes on the bridge?

• Nope, printing each time, your idea is better!

hifiside
  • Bottom looks like so, for reference of attempt 1:

6thplanet
  • Brad's great idea, very nice! A spot to slot the separate bar/plug into!

hifisideSilver1omoPWRRYDugly_wooferScottSBryan@MAC
  • New test prints loaded and printing:

One smaller plug (25mm diameter to 20mm and less depth) plus a couple other "why not" lens shapes.

Silver1omotajanes
  • Will you be able to try the new smaller plug in both directions (point in as well as outward) ?

JasonP
  • Yes, that should be easily done, good idea

hifiside
  • So when taking apart the current plate and attempting to pull out the driver I kind of forgot how much I glued the wire into the back and uh, that was that - oops!

Well at least I have 7 more of these drivers in a drawer in the closet (torn out of the MMTMMW build I brought to Indy ages ago). So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Also, since this is getting for serious, I'll make a more robust box!

A slight pause on measurements though, while I get this all together.

ugly_woofer6thplanet
  • @JasonP said:
    So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Carl FTW!

JasonPugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • I wish I could find my article on acoustic lens/ phase plugs. I was all about making the on axis response look as good as the off axis iirc.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails