Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Favorite Non-Dome Tweeters under $100

Title pretty much says it all. What are your favorite ribbon, planar or AMT tweeters for under $100 each?

Comments

• Mine would be the HiVi RT1.3WE.

Turn2
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Mine would be the HiVi RT1.3WE.

I have a pair of the NeoCD 1.0, I think you have used this tweeter as well. What do you like about the 1.3 vs that one?

• The NeoCD1.0 are great! Listening to them right now actually. I didn't think they were still available so I didn't mention them.

• @PWRRYD said:
    The NeoCD1.0 are great! Listening to them right now actually. I didn't think they were still available so I didn't mention them.

Madisound still carries them.

Do you have a preference between the two?

• I have used and like the NeoCD1.0 and RT1.3WE. The RT1.3 can handle a somewhat lower crossover point. A couple of other good options are the GRS PT2522 variants. Ron E. did an 8" two-way with the version that is open backed - he made his own rear chamber for it. The other one I think is worthy of note is the Airborne RT4001, which I have used and heard crossed down around 2 - 2.5 kHz. It's a winner.

Jakes_dadrjj45
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Regarding the RT1.3WE vs the NeoCD1.0... I can't say that I like one WAY better than the other. They both reproduce cymbals, bells, whistles, brushes on snare drums, etc better than any dome I've used. The HiVi is less money. The NeoCD has a smaller flange diameter.

After seeing your post about Madisound still having them, I just might order a pair of the Neo's before they are NLA.

• I really like the NeoCD1.0 and the GRS neo3 clones are decent especially if you want to cross low. I crossed the open back GRS at 800Hz with a DIY back chamber.

Ron

Steve_Leejholtz
  • I've designed and build speakers with both the NeoCD 3.0 and the Airborne 4001, and have an archive design with the B&G Neo3. I listen to the NeoCD 3.0 design every day and it's my favorite, but the others are good also. There is something about a ribbon or planar or amt tweeter that I don't "get" from a dome. I have not figured this out!

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited December 2023

I went back and read through your O'ryans write-up, good info in there.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Regarding the RT1.3WE vs the NeoCD1.0... I can't say that I like one WAY better than the other. They both reproduce cymbals, bells, whistles, brushes on snare drums, etc better than any dome I've used. The HiVi is less money. The NeoCD has a smaller flange diameter.

After seeing your post about Madisound still having them, I just might order a pair of the Neo's before they are NLA.

It looks like the RT1.3 is a really good value for half the price of the NeoCD1.0. I do like the look and smaller faceplate of the NeoCD though.

• edited December 2023

I have had builds with the HiVi and the NeoCD1 and really like them both. Once upon a time Kenny K had a design called the Doritos that matched this tweeter with the DS135-8. IMHO that was a highly underated budget build and I really love how my pair turned out. The downside is that it's a bigger pain than many to mount.