Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

[Shop talk] Motorized standing desk frames are awesome

edited December 2023 in DIY

In order to get all my stuff in one place and do more electronics work over the winter (and not leave an oscilloscope sitting on a card table in our dining room for weeks at a time), I decided to put together a small workstation.

I had this desk top from an old mid century that had seen better days, so I bought a motorized standing desk frame, and it is PERFECT for task work.

In addition to the obvious benefits for an old back, I can drop it down to rest my forearms comfortably when stripping & crimping a 3-way's worth of leads, and I can raise it up when I'm soldering 'cause I'm nearsighted as fsck.

Even subtracting for the top / monitor / mount / lights, I figure I still have a 120lb load capacity. That's enough to hold all but the stupidest of amps.

Tagged:
Steve_Lee4thtryjr@macColonel7Tom_S6thplanettajanesjhollander

Comments

• Uplift desk system or other?
    I use the Uplift system in my office and have been looking for another for the shop now that I have the need for another - one with wheels would be best . . . Just need a bridged shelf across the back for "stuff".

• A different manufacturer, but basically yeah.

And that shelf across the back...I feel ya. Storage and modularity is something I'm still working on. I'm trying to ascribe to Adam Savage's "first order retrievability" philosophy, but I still haven't decided what tools get permanent spots on the desktop and which ones get pulled out out of a drawer when needed. That pine roll cart from Fleet Farm was a good buy though.

Steve_Lee
  • I like your DMM dealy. 👍🏼

Dirk
  • What is the thing with the muffin fan sitting on the tote?

• @PWRRYD said:
    What is the thing with the muffin fan sitting on the tote?

A 3D printed solder fume extractor--that doesn't work unless the fumes are within an inch of the fan inlet. LOL

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • edited December 2023

I do mostly computer / desk work these days. My office space at work recently got standing desks, which I didn't think I needed until I had one. It's great just to be able to stand up for a bit every once in a while, and of course for the added benefit of getting the desk height just where you want as well. It wasn't long before I bought a kit for my home office, got the business/commercial kit to make sure it would support the massive oak slab that I use for a computer desk. (It's meant to be a dining table).

For speaker stuff, I've got a spare leg with actuator that i might rig up as part of my speaker measurement jig, though it does have a minimum height of about 22" which limits is usability somewhat.

Dirkjhollander
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • why do you have a two prong outlet plug connected to your left most headphones?
    Nice desk.

• Uhh, leftmost headphone have their cable looped over the hanger, not plugged into anything.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    why do you have a two prong outlet plug connected to your left most headphones?
    Nice desk.

He likes to listen to AC no DC. Sorry, I know that joke joke hertz.

dcibelSteve_Leeugly_woofer6thplanet
  • Thanks for scoring a goal with the set-up, Ken! =)

• edited December 2023

I need this. Maybe my wife too for her crafting

I searched around. The adjustable width kits with no top I found down to ~$120. But you can find some all-in-one for even cheaper (compared to alot out there). I wonder just what it would take to widen them for a new wider top. The horizontal bar would be easy enough to replicate or cut and widen, but extending the axle rod would be tricky.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Standing-Desk-Adjustable-Computer/dp/B0CHB2NSKN/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=adjustable+height+desk&sr=8-8&th=1

Probably just worth the additional $ for the adjustable width kits to save on aggravation.

• I suspect @dcibel bought the same frame. I think it's also the same as the one sold by Monoprice. I know it's the same frame my Fortune 100 employer kitted out at all our desks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MTBK599/

Steve_Lee
  • I got the monoprice dual motor lift system holding up a 60x24 2" thick countertop slab with a 48" monitor, bookshelf 5" TM, amp and other doodads... works great!

Dirk
  • @6thplanet said:
    I like your DMM dealy. 👍🏼

I think it was meant to be a cell phone / webcam holder for youths and their social medias. It's a little wobbly because of the way they clamp the joints (a knurled thumb wheel driving a bolt end into a ball joint? really?). But it was cheap and holds a DMM well enough.

6thplanet4thtry
  • Sometimes I am glad my job requires me to get at least 7000 steps per day. 50% desk and 50% on the floor. Works for me.

I have an ergonomics expert coming in, I am interested in her thoughts on adjustable height desks. I think I read somewhere where the benefits are not significant over sitting.

I have a signature.
  • I can see how it'd be nice to have that option. Although I am a bench tech, I do a considerable amount of moving around. I couldn't imagine sitting all day at work.

• @Dirk said:
    I suspect @dcibel bought the same frame.

Mine came from Canadian supplier Effydesk, beefier frame than that one, just comparing frame weight of 59 vs 78lbs.

• edited December 2023

@jr@mac said:
    Sometimes I am glad my job requires me to get at least 7000 steps per day. 50% desk and 50% on the floor. Works for me.

I have an ergonomics expert coming in, I am interested in her thoughts on adjustable height desks. I think I read somewhere where the benefits are not significant over sitting.

I just watched this earlier today. Might help tailor your questions.

Now that I'm back at the office I get more walking in a day, though still not much. But it has helped.

Steve_Leejhollander
  • Timely and appreciated link, Drew.
    I have sat and stood for over 12 hours a day doing PC based HVAC performance analysis work for the past 15 years and I feel as bad at times as my 83 YO mother who is now falling down from inactivity.

Standing desks are not a solution but a change from sitting. But they do have utility in the workplace.

• edited December 2023

Utility was really my point. When working there, I rarely leave the stool. But I noticed there were different heights useful for different tasks and being able to switch between them...I dunno. I feel very...optimized?

Steve_Lee6thplanettajanesColonel7
  • I foresee saving your back instead of being hunched over soldering. Possibly less solder smoke in the face due to that also.

Steve_LeeDirk
  • So my ergo expert cautions that standing is not automatically better, from a "my neck and shoulders hurt" perspective.

She is also pretty hot, looking forward to her visit :p

ugly_wooferSteve_LeeScottS
    I have a signature.
  • My feet couldn't take standing all day. Maybe stand for 20 minutes sit for 40 every hour.