Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Gorilla Glue and PVC works!

Normally I use 5 minute 2 part epoxy to glue my PVC port into the MDF, baltic birch ply, or particle board boxes. It works great and has always had a strong bond with zero failures. When the clearance between the port tube and the hole is pretty close or even a slight interference fit it doesn't take hardly any epoxy.

Unfortunately on my current project the gaps between the ports and the holes turned out pretty loose. Like a 1/16" loose and it would take a bunch of epoxy to fill that in. Epoxy is kinda costly so I figured I'd try the much cheaper Gorilla Glue. I read online that it might not work very well because PVC is so shiny. Well that's easy to fix. I scuffed the OD of the PVC ports with some 150 grit sandpaper, wetted the MDF hole, apply some Gorilla Glue to the port's first inch and inserted the ports with a backer board (with a piece of wax paper between them). Happy to report those ports aren't going anywhere. Super strong bond. I didn't realize how much the GG expands and pushes out of the gap and into the box.

Dirkjr@macSteve_Leetajanesrjj45

Comments

• Yeah , thats some wicked shit , dont get it on your hands !

PWRRYDrjj45
  • Yep, that's how I've been doing it for a while now, GG and sanded pvc. If the air is humid enough, you don't have to wet the substrate at all.

• edited December 2023

I hear it bubbles up. Technically I believe it is not designed to fill gaps, but maybe it will only hold up a girraffe instead of an elephant that way. So it works well enough anyway.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    I hear it bubbles up. Technically I believe it is not designed to fill gaps

Maybe not designed for that purpose but it sure works well, at least on speaker related stuff. I've always used it for ports, but only because I found that suggested somewhere on the forums. But I also made a curved speaker using 7 layers of 1/8" Birch plywood and used gorilla glue between each layer to avoid gaps/voids.

tajanes
  • I recently used Gorilla glue to bond some high strength neo magnets to aluminum clipboards for use on forklifts. Pretty amazing stuff.

I have a signature.