Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Happy New Years

Hope everyone had a great night - I drank 4 or 5 beers and most of a bottle of Champagne and was in bed around 9:30. Apparently Mrs. JR stayed up drinking old fashioneds lol.

Hope this year brings you all joy. I have some plans for the year involving personal growth and health, but do not necessarily refer to them as resolutions - these are carry overs from 2023 as part of a bigger plan.

This week I hope to get started on Nicks 3-ways. I am pretty happy with a current design I have been working on and living with for the last several weeks so am about ready to move forward with these.

Be well, all.

I have a signature.
kenrhodesugly_woofer

Comments

• Happy New Year! We stayed home and watched football.

• Happy New Year !!!
    We got to spend the week with our kids whom came out to visit (and my daughter's 70 lb 1yr old puppy- Clark)

• Happy New Year to you guys, too.

• Our episode of New Year '24 actually began on the Friday before Christmas when the impeller shaft on the water discharge pump of our washing machine broke off mid-load. Not even 3-year-old Samsung washer. After baling out about 15 gallons of water, I hit YouTube, dug in, diagnosed the failure and booked a repairman for the day after Christmas, the first available slot.

Tuesday the 26th rolls around and my diagnosis was correct but the part is not available in Des Moines. Appointment is rebooked for Friday the 29th. Now no laundry has been done for a week. But the part is in, installed in short order and we're back in business. We ran a load and everything went fine.

On Saturday morning I started another load, attempting to catch up on our backlog of dirty clothes. The first load hit the rinse cycle and kablooey, the discharge hose and clamp blew off the pump and ~20 gallons of water were pumped onto the floor of our first floor laundry nook and surrounding area.

After frantic cleanup efforts, the appliance repair GM was notified, an insurance claim was filed and a disaster mitigation team was summoned by Allstate. Water had reached the basement floor through the wall between our home theater and the hallway. Since Saturday we have been living in what sounds like the inside of a grain dryer. No drywall can be removed until an asbestos test is performed on our '07 and '10 era construction. Labs aren't open until Tuesday.

No audio equipment was damaged, and I wound up fixing the washer myself, after being charged nearly $500.

So, hope your year is going better than ours! And our saga won't be over for a while, but it could have been even worse.

Steve_Lee6thplanetjhollander
  • Happy New Speaker Building Year all!

• Cheers to the next one!

Unfortunately, only a few shots...er..years left in this bottle.

• happy new year from way down in southern Indiana. Almost Kentucky

• We went to my BIL and sister's place, played some Euchre and Aggravation, watched the end of Clark's Rockin Eve and went home. Simple and fun.
    Happy New Year from northeast Indiana!

• I just had to clean the intake filters in the water heaters (both shutdown) and started screwing the ceiling's sheetrock around nail pops. Happy new year!

Steve_Lee
  • @Turn2 said:
    Our episode of New Year '24 actually began on the Friday before Christmas when the impeller shaft on the water discharge pump of our washing machine broke off mid-load. Not even 3-year-old Samsung washer. After baling out about 15 gallons of water, I hit YouTube, dug in, diagnosed the failure and booked a repairman for the day after Christmas, the first available slot.

Tuesday the 26th rolls around and my diagnosis was correct but the part is not available in Des Moines. Appointment is rebooked for Friday the 29th. Now no laundry has been done for a week. But the part is in, installed in short order and we're back in business. We ran a load and everything went fine.

On Saturday morning I started another load, attempting to catch up on our backlog of dirty clothes. The first load hit the rinse cycle and kablooey, the discharge hose and clamp blew off the pump and ~20 gallons of water were pumped onto the floor of our first floor laundry nook and surrounding area.

After frantic cleanup efforts, the appliance repair GM was notified, an insurance claim was filed and a disaster mitigation team was summoned by Allstate. Water had reached the basement floor through the wall between our home theater and the hallway. Since Saturday we have been living in what sounds like the inside of a grain dryer. No drywall can be removed until an asbestos test is performed on our '07 and '10 era construction. Labs aren't open until Tuesday.

No audio equipment was damaged, and I wound up fixing the washer myself, after being charged nearly $500.

So, hope your year is going better than ours! And our saga won't be over for a while, but it could have been even worse.

Wow, that's a crappy way to end 2023! Pretty much every minor disaster that we've had in this house has been water related. My wife says it's because I'm an Aquarius or the house was built on an Indian burial ground and thier gods are pissed.

I hope '24 goes better for you!

Steve_Lee
  • Been there, Richard, caught it early when the fill valve stuck open on our washer. Could have been much worse as it was only 5 gallons for ours.

• @Tom_S said:

Wow, that's a crappy way to end 2023! Pretty much every minor disaster that we've had in this house has been water related. My wife says it's because I'm an Aquarius or the house was built on an Indian burial ground and thier gods are pissed.

Yesterday we got to remove the main floor fans and dehumidifier, so noise level is far better. The big derecho brought a new state law requiring the asbestos testing even on new construction, otherwise the remediator would have had this opened up and dried out 48 hours ago. So I'm looking at you Cedar Rapids. ;) Timing these two debacles across the long holiday weekends was the worst case scenario, but it'll probably spur some home reno we've been thinking about for years.

Steve_Lee
  • I am pretty sure this is how at all started. Mr. caveman comes home, wife says I need some running water in the cave so I don't have to walk to the creek all the time. Mr. caveman says, no way that would lead to all sorts of problems. Mrs. caveman eventually gets her way and we have been paying for his weakness ever since.

Steve_Lee
  • @Turn2 said:

@Tom_S said:

Yesterday we got to remove the main floor fans and dehumidifier, so noise level is far better. The big derecho brought a new state law requiring the asbestos testing even on new construction, otherwise the remediator would have had this opened up and dried out 48 hours ago. So I'm looking at you Cedar Rapids. ;) Timing these two debacles across the long holiday weekends was the worst case scenario, but it'll probably spur some home reno we've been thinking about for years.

Gotta look at the bright side of things. Sorry to hear about your water issues.

I have a signature.